Emails about content alert

morris948 18:30 22 Mar 2004

Hello
I keep getting emails from unknown sources that say i have sent them a virus attachment.

But i have not sent anything to these addresses, i have PCcillin 2003 installed fully up to date and all hotfixes up to date, pccillin does not detect any viruses in my system,so how can this happen?
here is a typical example:-

The Atkins Message Management System has blocked your message entitled Re: Approved addressed to [email protected]> as it has been identified as a potential risk to the Atkins Computing Environment. The following file extensions are automatically blocked EXE, COM, VBS, PIF, VBE, EML, SCR.

And another:-
Network Associates WebShield SMTP V4.5 MR1a P0803.345 on mailhost7 intercepted a mail from [email protected]> with the subject line of "Re: Re: Thanks!" which caused the Content Filter filter ext - pif to be triggered

These occur about twice a week, but im not sending anything!.
I'm using XP Pro IE6 office XP all fully updated

Camille 18:34 22 Mar 2004

I've been getting quite a few emails warning me that I have a virus - from supposed anti-virus companies. I just delete them all.

Diodorus Siculus 18:36 22 Mar 2004

Recent virus / worm emails are able to forge the "from" address in mails sent; often they are taken from within the adress book of the source of the email. Thus if someone who has your address in their book gets infected, it may send the mail with your address as the from address.

Simply delete them and don't worry too much - it should die down in a day or two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone