Emailing in Windows 7 using Windows Live Mail

dobbin 13:39 14 Jan 2010

I have just acquired a laptop with Windows 7. Instead of Windows Mail or Outlook Express it comes with Windows Live Mail which works ok except it separates each email address into different inboxes which I find very inconvenient. Is there anyway that they can be downloaded into just one inbox for all email addresses as in Windows Mail or Outlook Express?

mgmcc 14:05 14 Jan 2010

You could always use "Message Rules" to filter all mail with your different addresses into a single Inbox.

Pineman100 14:09 14 Jan 2010

I've never had occasion to do this, but try the following.

Have a look in Tools>Message Rules>Mail. Check the "Where the To line contains people" box. Specify your own (alternative) email address and add a rule directing it to send this mail to the normal Inbox.

As I said, I'm operating on guesswork here, but give it a try.

Pineman100 14:10 14 Jan 2010

I was typing while you posted!

Sea Urchin 14:31 14 Jan 2010

Message Rules will work as long as you're not receiving mail from web-based programs such as Hotmail.

dobbin 15:01 14 Jan 2010

All the emails are from pop3 servers so no web based programmes. I will give it a try tonight and see what happens. I have never used message rules before so hope it's easy.

dobbin 13:49 21 Jan 2010

I can't get message rules to work and even have problems sending mail in windows live mail, but that's a separate issue. Is it possible to download either windows mail or outlook express into Windows 7. I know I can get everything to do as I want with these programs.

Sea Urchin 14:28 21 Jan 2010

No you cannot download WM or OE to use with Windows 7.

But Message Rules should easily do what you want.

Go to Tools - Message Rules - Mail and and Rules box will open.

Click on New... and New Mail Rule will open. Put a tick in the box beside "Where the To line contains people". In the next box tick "Move to the specified folder". In the lower box click on "contains people" and in the Select people box type (for example) [email protected] (one of your other email addresses). Click Add and OK. Then click on "specified" and select the folder (Inbox) you wish the mail to go to. Click OK. Finally type a name for the rule and click OK.

Repeat for each email address.

mgmcc 15:28 21 Jan 2010

If you have access to a PC running Vista, you can copy the Windows Mail files from there into a PC running Windows 7. Instructions for doing this - click here

dobbin 15:50 21 Jan 2010

thanks sea urchin, I will give it another try & let you know how I get on.

dobbin 18:50 21 Jan 2010

Thank you for such precise instructions, sea urchin; it worked a treat. One further question, is it possible do delete all the other inboxes and transfer their contents to the new folder that I have created?

I know I'm being fussy but it's my wife's laptop and she likes everything really simple so that windows live mail opens straight away displaying only folder I have just created? Basically she just wants outlook express back and I'm inclined to agree with her.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017