Emailing a massive PDF file

bear73 22:20 13 Oct 2007

Hi

Someone is trying to email me a file I need but it is huge. A 40Mb pdf file. Every time she tries to email it everthing just times out because the document is taking too long to load. She can't work out how to break it down into smaller bits and I know nothing about pdf files to help her.

Any idea how to best get this info to me? If it can't be emailed then I suspect putting it on a disc or memory stick and posting it might work.

Thanks

Probabilitydrive 22:27 13 Oct 2007

I dont know wheter this works with PDF's, but I used click here . You can send up to 2gigabytes of data with it.

mrwoowoo 22:29 13 Oct 2007

You will be governed by your isp, who limit how much space they allocate you in your e-mail.
Sometimes this can be as low as 2mb.
You could try this site,although you have to register.
click here

John Ross 22:30 13 Oct 2007

Hi there

One solution involves file transfer protocol, which is more efficient and reliable than sending as conventional email attachment.
I do this less than once a year and every time i have to learn again how to do it! There is software and websites that facilitate it.

Alternately, if most of the pdf can be converted from graphics into text then the file size will reduce considerably. Probably not possible, eg if the document consists of hundreds of pages.

Technotiger 22:34 13 Oct 2007

If your friend right-clicks on the pdf documents icon she should then see - Send to - she should then click on Compressed (Zipped) Folder. A zipped folder will be created containing the pdf file. She should then send that folder as an attachment.

Technotiger 22:36 13 Oct 2007

PS - when you receive the zipped folder, you simply double-click on it to open it.

Ashrich 22:53 13 Oct 2007

You'd be better off getting an X Drive account with 5gb of free online storage that can be shared by invitation , have a look click here .

Ashley

FatboySlim71 22:56 13 Oct 2007

You could also use Rapidshare, basically this is a site that lets you share YOUR OWN WORK! with others that you choose to. Basically when you upload your files etc on to Rapidshare, they are given a web address, you then simply give this to whoever you want to, i.e. you could insert this web address into the email instead of the PDF file.

click here

UncleP 23:47 13 Oct 2007

It might be worth finding out why the pdf file is so large - several hundred pages for a typical illustrated book or manual. One common reason for this happening is that graphic elements are included at unnecessarily high resolution or size, but there are others. If this is the case, and you really need the high-res graphics, they could be stripped out and sent separately.

Otherwise, you have a good range of suggestions above!

johnnyrocker 23:52 13 Oct 2007

as well as you sendit.com also useful

johnnny

bear73 08:17 14 Oct 2007

Thanks for all your help. The document is actually 180 pages of scanned documents. They are very old and some pages may be hard to make out the writing so I need it to be as clear as possible.

I think she's managed to send it somehow as I have just opened my mail and it's still downloading 50MB! I sent her all the suggestions above but I think she said she had some freeware for splitting the document in to small bits.

Anyway not sure what she did but thanks for the advice. Very helpful as always.

bear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?