email wont go away

gibonski 19:33 26 Nov 2007

For the past few days my email messages cant be deleted and are multiplying even after emptying folder.Error message keeps reappearing ;TIMED OUT--PROTOCOL POP3,PORT 110,SECURE (SSL)ERROR NUMBER 0X800CCC19.Total of 74 emails (and its the same emails)just keep coming back.Havent the faintest idea why this is happening,any help please.

Technotiger 19:36 26 Nov 2007

Looks as if you might have picked up malware of some sort. As a start you should run all your anti-everything programs to try and clear it. No doubt more advise will be forthcoming from other members.

PalaeoBill 19:41 26 Nov 2007

This is often associated with Anti Virus software, causing a timeout.
I would un-install the AV software and then re-install it. To see if this clears the problem.

To get rid of the e-mails for now. Does your ISP allow you webmail access to the e-mail account. If so, just browse to the ISP's website, login with the same userid & password you configured Outlook Express with and delete the mails there.

SANTOS7 19:43 26 Nov 2007

click here

suggestion in the link it is antivirus related and possible corruption of your .dbx files

Stuartli 19:49 26 Nov 2007

See:

click here

and

click here

I've had something similar in recent days (can Receive but not Send e-mails); occasionally one e-mail will be Sent but, for example, a second just "hangs" and cannot be sent.

If you are with TalkTalk it is having e-mail service problems in some areas, as well as its website being slow to load on occasions.

After extensive and wide ranging efforts to try and revolve the problem, I finally spent about 20 minutes this morning talking to a Technical Support assistant.

He was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and even recreated the original e-mail account (I had set up a second slightly different e-mail address with no joy), but little advancement. I can't even get on the webmail service...:-(

However, the e-mail address and password work fine for My Account access.

Stuartli 19:50 26 Nov 2007

Just got an e-mail test message I sent a short while ago...:-)

gibonski 21:08 26 Nov 2007

Thanks,will try and un-install/install AV software as first option.

gibonski 21:17 29 Nov 2007

After no success at all with Outlook have accessed email account through Virgin and hey presto--no problems.Han't a clue how this happens but thanks for all your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?