Email Tracking

Big Trev 23:05 14 Feb 2006

I have recently reverted to using Outlook Express for my email having switched from Outlook for reasons I needn't go into.

When using Outlook I had a useful little gizmo called Mailinfo, which told you if your mail had been read and by whom. It doesn't work with Express. Do any of you know of an email tracking utility that does?

Forum Editor 23:44 14 Feb 2006

don't you?

GaT7 23:47 14 Feb 2006

You may want to read this info on Mailinfo click here. G

Forum Editor 00:05 15 Feb 2006

Thank you - that will teach me to operate research before engaging keyboard, I had never heard of Mailinfo.

It seems to me that it serves the same function as a read receipt, and you can set that up in Outlook Express easily enough:-

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.

2. On the Receipts tab, select the "Request a read receipt for all sent messages" check box.

I find requests for read-receipts extremely irritating, and I never provide them. In all my years of sending emails I have not once been aware of an outbound message being 'lost', but I suppose it can happen. Auto-notifiers such as read receipts or Mailinfo are only going to be successful if recipients agree to send the notification however, and if they don't, you're back to square one.

smokingbeagle 00:08 15 Feb 2006

click here

Scroll to the bottom for the free version.

spuds 09:31 15 Feb 2006

>bookmarked+bump<

flyboy 11:05 15 Feb 2006

Interesting thread.

Thanks smokingbeagle for that link.

Could be useful if chasing up suppliers with regard to unanswered emails with regard to non/late deliveries etc.

Worth a(free)try.

Big Trev 12:56 15 Feb 2006

I received Mailinfo bundled in with some other utility and installed it and then proceeded to ignore it. I then paid attention to it again because I wondered if an email to a customer service department, which hadn't been answered, had been read.
In this regard it is the same as a read receipt, however, unlike a read receipt it isn't a pain in the neck for recipient or the sender. The way read receipts clogged up your inbox an registered as real emails annoys me intensely, so I never used them.

Mailinfo has its own folder and works quietly in the background. Moreover it tels you if an email has been read, how many times, when and whether or not it had been forwarded. Great!

Big Trev 13:10 15 Feb 2006

MSGTag Status 2 seems to have the functionality of Mailinfo, but it costs $59.95!! That's only $59.95 dollars more than Mailinfo.

So useful did I find it, that I'm almost tempted, but if anybody has any other suggestions...

Thanks for your help.

Meshuga 13:27 15 Feb 2006

I use Readnotify.com. Its very good but its not free. I can`t recall how much I paid but their web site should tell you.

Monoux 13:34 15 Feb 2006

bookmark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?