email via telnet/commandline,talktalk problems

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:14 27 Sep 2005
  johnnyrocker 23:57 27 Sep 2005

why not use normal methods?

johnny.

Chegs ® 00:07 28 Sep 2005

I wanna know to howto use telnet,as I'm a curious chappy.

tasslehoff burrfoot 12:31 28 Sep 2005

it's a bit of a long story...

Basically it's for a program which sends an automatic email detailing some stats about the linux device on which it resides.

This device is not a "pc" in the normal sense of the name but does run linux. It's a proprietary distro which can only be bought with this hardware.

There is no email client in existence for this so the prgram uses linux command line commands to send the email and it is not working.

I am telnetting into the SMTP server to manually send an email to see where the problem arises.

The first error message (in my original post) means that you are not allowed to send email to a different domain (e.g. from talktalk to gmail) normally this can be overcome by logging in with username/password (AUTH LOGIN) but when I try this I get the second error message.

Hope that explains my reasoning okay!

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 12:41 28 Sep 2005

It's quite simple really.

to see what I am doing, if you open a command prompt, type "telnet <SMTP ip address> 25" (no quotes, you will get a new screen with some gumpf on it (one or two lines).

type HELO (caps is important, only one L) <domain> and you should get a message returned starting in 250 and it will probably say "Hello <domain>"

Then type MAIL FROM: <your email address>

and you get another 250 message

then type RCPT TO: <email address> (use your own to test

and (unless you're me) you should get another 250 message

then type DATA

and you get a message telling you to enter your message followed by a line with just a full stop, so type:

subject: test
testing 123

and check your emails!

For <domain> put your ISP for example mine is talktalk.net

To find out the IP address, from a command prompt, type "ping smtp.your domain.com/co.uk/net" (no quotes)
Cheers

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 12:43 28 Sep 2005

formatting's gone to pot.

it should be

Subject: test

testing 123

all on different lines

Chegs ® 13:43 28 Sep 2005

Thanks mate,I had been trying to telnet to a mates PC,but kept getting "Connect Failed" or similar probs/messages.I occasionally got an empty DOS window,as soon as I typed anything,either the curser would move along the top line,but show nothing,or it would drop back to C:\Docs&Settings....etc.Next time I'm thru his,I will get his IP addy again,and retry it with your suggestions.

tasslehoff burrfoot 14:06 28 Sep 2005

I'm not sure you can just telnet into a PC like that?

If he has a firewall or router then he would need to allow this sort of action.

On my linux box I had to manually enter a command at a bash prompt to get it to accept telnet connections and to tell it which port to listen for.

In my command above where I have telnet (ip address> 25, you will need to leave out the 25 as that is the port number for SMTP access.

I think the default port for telnet is 21 but if you don't put any port it will use the default anyway.

Yoda Knight 14:10 28 Sep 2005

Doesnt Telnet have to be run as an extra service ? I dont think XP has a Telnet Host service, does it ? I know MS Server versions can do it...

Yoda Knight 14:11 28 Sep 2005

I stand corrected - XP *DOES* have a Telnet service

Chegs ® 14:29 28 Sep 2005

He has both,linux AND windows,I think the default for telnet on XP is port 23(but I get easily confused with all the numbers needed) :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?