Email Socket Error 10013 0x800CCC0E

BGL 15:04 06 Aug 2010

We have a network of 12 pcs and have run into a problem with the downloading of emails from the mail server which is hosted elsewhere. The following message appears on all pcs when we try and receive the emails (there are approx. 20 different email accounts set up on the various pcs).

The connection to the server has failed. Account: '[email protected]', Server: 'mail.????????.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

We can, however, download from our old email account that is hosted by Tiscali which indicates to me that the problem is not at our end (we can also send emails from our email addresses).

The various pcs are using either Windows Mail or Outlook Express. We have been happily downloading our new emails for the last 12 months and have never had a problem before. I can gain access to the emails by logging in directly to the host server but I want to be able to download them as we've always done.

I have googled the problem and there seems to be thousands of messages on the subject but no definitive answers - has anyone with greater knowledge than me got any ideas as to why we can't download them as we're not getting much help & feedback from the company who host our emails.

Many thanks,

David

BGL 19:30 07 Aug 2010

Any help would really be appreciated.

birdface 19:49 07 Aug 2010

Not with Virginmedia are you as they are updating their e-mail service and it has been ongoing for quite a while.

BGL 10:51 08 Aug 2010

No, not with Virgin Media.

I've since configured my home pc to download emails from my work email account and they have downloaded fine so the problem appears to be with the pc network @ work.

Could it be a router issue? or a specific network issue?

BGL 12:43 11 Aug 2010

In case anyone is interested the problem was corrected by simply re-starting the router.

Even though the internet connection was fine, the downloading of our old emails was fine and the sending of all emails was fine the router was somehow putting a block on our connection to receive our new emails.

No idea why at present but re-starting the router has cleared the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?