email sending problem with Tiscali and Virgin

Simsy 19:23 07 Sep 2009

Folks,

I've got a bit of a problem setting up my sisters email...

The background is that she was with tiscali for a long time, (Dial up), and has a well established email account with them.

She recently went broadband, with Virgin, but has retained her tiscali email address.

She can use the tiscali email via webmail with no problem.

I have tried to set uo outlook express for her to use the tiscali email. Incoming is fine. Outgoing however doesn't seem to be working.

I have set up the outgoing server details to be for the Virgin server, ( I can't remember the exact detail now, but I'm sure they are correct).

When she "sends" an email via outlook express it appears to be sent, and appears in her "Sent" items folder in OE... however the email isn't received.

I will check this again thoroughly next time I'm there, but is ther some inherent reason why Tiscali email wont be sent via a Virgin broadband connection?

I can send and receive emails on my old Tesco account using the Tesco server details for incoming and my isp server details for outgoing. Would you not expect a similar situation here?

Regards,

Simsy

Ford Prefect 01 22:59 07 Sep 2009

Our e-mail settings are pop.tiscali.co.uk and smtp.ntlworld.com.

It does look as if could be the smtp setting. However if you were Telewest the SMTP is different,and is smtp.blueyonder.co.uk.

Fuller instructions at

click here

Simsy 04:09 08 Sep 2009

I'll check again when I'm next there...

My confusion is caused by the fact that if I've got the wrong settings, why isn't there an error message?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Simsy

ened 06:53 08 Sep 2009

From OE you can only have one outgoing mail a/c and that is with your isp.

You can set it to receive as many incoming as you like but you outgoing mail will always go through your isp's server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?