EMail Scanner - encrypted connection

pppc 20:49 12 Aug 2004

I have just switched to broadband and an examination of my posts this week will show that I have found a lot of troubles!!

I am reunning W98SE, with Norton Anti-Virus and Sygate Personal Firewall. Last evening I ran the free system scans offered by Symantec and McAfee. I have no reason to believe I am infected (I have run Norton within the last ten minutes). My browser is FireFox; I use Eudora for email.

At the moment I am getting a continuous stream ) 6 - 8 an hour) of information windows headed 'EMail Scanner' advising me that 'an encrypted email connection has been detected.' and suggesting 'Please see help for more information on how to transmit enrypted information.'.

I have no clue what 'program' is generating the message; I do not recognise the icon; Windows Find is no help, so I am unable to "..see help.".

Does anyone know where it comes from, what it means and what I should do in response, or how I can kill it????

PeterC

Belatucadrus 22:59 12 Aug 2004

could be SPIM, but without seeing it difficult to be sure click here for more info.

beeuuem 23:36 12 Aug 2004

See click here
It suggests that you have 'Use SSL' checked in your mail settings. If you have are you sure that your ISP requires this?

pppc 07:53 13 Aug 2004

Many thanks for replies.

I will read up the SPIM info at my leisure.

I have turned off SSL, which WAS on, but it has made no difference - I still continue to be inundated.

I think I'll go back to Outlook Express.

Thank you both again.

PeterC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?