Email returned to sender-but I didn't send it

matt-few 20:23 15 Apr 2006

Over the last three days I have received approx 20 emails from isps, companies and postmasters advising I have sent emails to invalid email addresses - I but have sent them emails.

The headers included in the emails look similar to the ones I have seen over the years, but they arn't me. They are using Outlook Express, but I don't!!

The domain name used is my, but the prefix before the @domain-name is not - examples used include [email protected] & [email protected] name.

Is this a virus working away in my pc or the next level of spam / hackers trying to gain access to my computer?

I have tried two anti-virus programs and spyware programs independently of either other and both have found nothing.

Any suggestions?

VoG II 20:25 15 Apr 2006

It is possible that one of your contacts has a virus that is sending out e-mails 'spoofed' from their address book.

Woolwell 20:36 15 Apr 2006

I have also been receiving these irritating e-mails (at least 20 in the last 3 days) stating that originals couldn't be delivered. I have scanned my PC for virus and done spyware checks with thankfully nil results.
I have come to the conclusion that either one of my contacts has a virus or it is a form of spam/virus propogation. They come with an attachment. Do not open it.

matt-few 20:52 15 Apr 2006

That's what I hoped - I didn't fancy doing a new windows install over the Easter weekend!!

After checking with two a/virus software and spyware checker, I still couldn't find anything. As this email address ends in .com I thought I was more likely to be spam.

matt-few 20:52 15 Apr 2006

That's what I hoped - I didn't fancy doing a new windows install over the Easter weekend!!

After checking with two a/virus software and spyware checker, I still couldn't find anything. As this email address ends in .com I thought I was more likely to be spam.

phono 21:11 15 Apr 2006

I would agree entirely with VoG™, one/some of your contacts has/have most likely got a virus which is spoofing emails from their address book.

denali 00:51 16 Apr 2006

matt-few I had this a while back. One day I had 217 e-mails. I am on AOL contacted them and the advised I change my password. I did so and the problem disappeared.

Forum Editor 01:07 16 Apr 2006

and I think it's happening to tens of thousands of people at the moment.

On average I receive six or seven 'bounced' emails a day - mail which I haven't sent. Several in-depth scans, using various anti-virus applications have revealed nothing. It's spoofing at work, and there's not much you can do about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?