Email retrevial on more than one PC

Luca M 22:18 15 Apr 2007

I am wanting to access my Gmail email account from more than one PC. I have a thunderbird email client set up on each PC that I want to access it, but once one of the computers recieves an email, that same email cannot be picked up by the 2nd machine, and this is not what I want it to do. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this with email clients such as thunderbird?

Many Thanks

skidzy 22:26 15 Apr 2007

I dont use Thunderbird,but im guessing you need to find a setting that leaves the messages on the server.

Wanderfly 22:26 15 Apr 2007

Hi Luca, I think what you're after is, rather than a normal POP email account, an IMAP one. When your 1st computer recieves mail, the message is kept on the server so that when your 2nd computer checks for mail it too can receive it.
Cheers, Alex

Technotiger 22:27 15 Apr 2007

Hi, this may not be exactly what you are asking, but perhaps the Forum mentioned near the bottom of my link might be able to help...

click here

Belatucadrus 22:32 15 Apr 2007

Thunderbird :-
Tools / Account settings / Server settings, then tick the box next to "Leave messages on server".
Outlook Express :-
Tools / Accounts / Mail / Properties Go to the Advanced tab and tick the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on server".

Do this only with one PC, you can then also get at it with the second PC which will then remove the mail from the server.

Luca M 22:33 15 Apr 2007

I have set the Gmail server settings and the settings in thunderbird to leave the messages on the server. I just cant figure it out.

m800afc 04:32 16 Apr 2007

I use an imap account and Microsoft Office Outlook. I use this arrangement on several computers without difficulty. I can view all traffic on all computers. I can delete mail from the server using any of the computers. I guess imap is the answer.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:57 16 Apr 2007

Why not just access your email from your ISPs website. This will keep it on the server until you decide to delete it. You can then access it from any computer in the world without having to mess about with settings.

G

Luca M 14:23 16 Apr 2007

Thanks for all your suggestions, and i have set up an Imap account with outlook and everything seems fine. Thanks to all who contributed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?