Email problems using AVG

Nosmas 15:54 29 Jul 2006

My desktop system is XP Home SP2 with IE 6, AVG Free and Sygate Personal Firewall (also free).

I have recently bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 Series laptop, which came with (pre-installed) XP SP2, IE6 and Norton Internet Security. I have now networked the two using a Netgear WGR614 v6 wireless router and an Adsl Nation X-Modem M3. Most of the initial problems setting up the network have now been resolved, but I am having problems receiving email on the laptop.

Although Norton was installed on the laptop, the icon in the notification area indicates that it is disabled and I have not at any time accessed Norton. I have instead installed AVG Free (which is completely up to date on both systems, and both have identical settings) and Sygate PF.

I have no problems at all sending or receiving emails on my desktop, but although emails can be sent from the laptop, trying to receive emails results in AVG kicking in and a message from Outlook Express “Your POP3 server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to respond?” Clicking on ‘Wait’ repeats the cycle whilst ‘Stop’ brings up an error message giving details why it cannot connect to the sever. However AVG continues to run and slows the entire system to a crawl. It takes ages to close the error message window and Outlook Express itself. Similarly Ctrl >Alt > Delete takes ages to display Windows Task Manager and when it does appear there is often 100% CPU usage. The main culprit seems to be a program ‘ccApp.exe’ which is often using up to 98%. Eventually AVG stops and everything returns to normal. The above events occur whether the laptop is connecting via wireless or directly wired into the router.

By experiment I have found that after disabling the AVG Plugin ‘Personal E-mail Scanner’ (or disabling the POP3 server which has exactly the same effect) Outlook
Express will immediately connect with the server and download emails. This of course means that with AVG effectively disabled for incoming mail, a virus could be allowed into my system.

I have read that if two anti-virus programs are installed on a system, even if one of them is disabled, problems can arise because of conflicts between them. Does anyone consider that uninstalling Norton would cure this problem or is there some other cause that I have overlooked?

VoG II 15:57 29 Jul 2006

ccApp.exe is Norton. Remove! click here=

Minkey1 16:06 29 Jul 2006

By all means remove NIS from the laptop if you prefer.

We've a desktop with Avast, and two laptops each with Norton, and receive emails fine on them all.

NIS can be and is blamed for a lot of ills, but on this occasion you may have had some setting somewhere causing the problem, rather than the use of Norton per se.

Presumably you've got your email set to leave copies on the server, so that you get them on both machines ?

Nosmas 16:48 29 Jul 2006

VoG™ Many thanks for your very prompt response. As usual you hit the nail right on the head! Followed the instructions given on your link to Symantec and removed NIS from the laptop. Sent a test email and Hey Presto! was able to download it on the laptop. Once again many thanks for your help.

Seems a bit strange though that although NIS was 'disabled' it could still interfere with other programs

Nosmas 16:52 29 Jul 2006

Minkey1 Thanks for your reply, but as you will see from the above VoG™'s solution has worked.

I think the difference between your systems and mine is that you are actually using NIS on your laptops. I was attempting to use AVG on mine and assumed that as NIS was 'disabled' if would have no effect, but obviously it did!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?