email problems

SusieQsy 12:18 14 Apr 2007

I am a total novice so need step by step help please. Have bb with sky and got McAfee free and have it installed someone told me I also needed some other virus/spam helper so downloaded AVG free. Now when I try to send/receive emails sometimes it works but most it doesn't. I receive/send emails through Outlook express. Have read on this site that you only need one of them or someone said that I can 'turn off'part of one of them. Can anyone help me, sorry but I am totally confused and don't even understand difference between mcafee and AVG and why I might need both.

MAJ 12:45 14 Apr 2007

You have two anti-virus packages installed and both are checking your incoming and out going mail, SusieQsy. Get rid of one anti-virus package. What you need is some anti-spyware software. Install,
Adaware: click here

Superantispyware: click here

and Spywareblaster: click here

That should keep you going.

Technotiger 12:52 14 Apr 2007

Hi, definitely get rid of McAfee - AVG is very much better. It is true that you should only ever use one anti-virus program, which is what these both are.

You should also have a good Firewall - an excellent free Firewall is Kerio Personal Firewall, available free from click here ... If/when you have Kerio running you can turn off the Windows built-in firewall.

Technotiger 12:54 14 Apr 2007

By the way - Welcome to the Forum, even if you are not having problems at any particular time, come on 'in' anyway, you can learn a lot, just by reading about other peoples problems, and the solutions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?