Email problem

superhoops 23:37 26 Aug 2010

Hi
I have iphone 4 and like the ease of accessing my email during the day. However, what is odd is that some-but not all- emails are not there on my pc email program when I get home.(I have the iphone set to never delete mail from the server.)
This becomes a pain when I am emailed jokey videos etc but cant then watch them on my pc later.
My previous iphone, the 3gs, also had the same problem.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Hoops

lotvic 00:17 27 Aug 2010

Have you checked the server via webmail to see if they are still there?
Have you got more than one email address and if so is it happening on all the addresses or just one account?

superhoops 07:43 27 Aug 2010

Yes they are. An example is the notification of a reply email from PC Advisor. It is on my iphone and webmail but not thunderbird.

superhoops 07:44 27 Aug 2010

Sorry, no I run just the one email address

lotvic 13:14 27 Aug 2010

It must be a setting on your pc.
Either in Thunderbird (I don't use it so can't help with that)
or your security settings etc.

gazzaho 14:06 27 Aug 2010

With Virgin Media there is a setting, you enter recent: before the email user name in the Incoming Mail Server section of the account properties, which syncs multiple email clients (click here) for the link to the help page.

My iPod touch would download email from the server but wouldn't retain a copy for viewing on my desktop PC using Windows Live Mail until I made the "recent:" adjustment on the iPod.

I've no idea what provider you use but perhaps they have a similar option.

superhoops 15:08 28 Aug 2010

Hi. Thanks for that tip. I am with Virgin Media and have done as you say. It initially redownloaded the last 2 months or so of emails, have deleted them and now waiting to see whether it works. |Cheers

gazzaho 16:00 28 Aug 2010

No problem superhoops, have you made the other adjustments to your email clients as well? If so then it should work fine. As I mentioned I've had no problem retaining emails over multiple clients after entering the settings, let's hope you won't either.

superhoops 00:16 29 Aug 2010

Hi, yes I have used the recent: command on my iphone and on Thunderbird on my laptop and it appears to be working. many thanks for your help. (my brother is also grateful as he was having exactly the same problem with his iphone and virgin mail so he now tells me when I mentioned it to him)

gazzaho 02:41 29 Aug 2010

Two birds with one stone as they say, glad I could help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?