E.mail problem

telkell 18:32 09 Jun 2004

It is really two problems--
1) I can't get Outlook Express to open fully . It opens ,then sticks. I have tried re-installing
IE, but no joy.

2) Since the frozen OE page shows 4 messages in my Inbox which I cannot reach, I decided to go to my mailbox at my ISP -One.Tel, but that shows my inbox empty.

I guessed that my mail is automatically sent on by OneTel, so tried Internet Options to see if I could amend (under 'Programs') my preferred recipient, but the only options there were Hotmail or Outlook Express . I never use Hotmail but could not amend it to 'Onetel'.
Any suggestions?

telkell 22:56 09 Jun 2004

Further to my posting 'E-mail problem' of 09.06.04
at 1832:
I should have said I use Windows 98 SE.

When I say the window sticks or freezes I mean it won't do anything and CON-ALT-DEL produces
'Outlook Express - not responding'.

HELP!

Eastender 00:02 10 Jun 2004

I know you have done a re-install but try taking the repair option in remove programs.

bretsky 00:32 10 Jun 2004

You may have a lot of data in your email program.

Try compacting your folders, open OE>go to file>folder>compact all folders.

good luck

bretsky ;0)

Valvegrid 06:56 10 Jun 2004

If you still get problems, you could try deleting the DBX files from here:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{37335500-9521-11D8-AD8F-E404D74A1F6D}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

They will be recreated when you open OE and access your accounts.

WARNING: you will lose all your existing data, this is why you should save all your important emails elsewhere.

telkell 09:34 10 Jun 2004

Thanks.
Eastender- there does not appear bto be a repair option in Add/Remove in 98 SE.
Bretsky-I cannot open OE fully and cant get past the frozen page to do as you suggest. I dont think I am too full as I clear it regularly.
Valvegrid- That sounds drastic, but I may come to it later!
By the way , I find I can get emails at my Onetel mailbox, provided I dont click OE first. That obviously has the effect of emptying my Onetel Mailbox into OE, so I am ok for new emails, but cannot access my files or the 4 messages waiting in OE.
Thanks again to all,and new ideas will be welcome.

telkell 10:36 11 Jun 2004

Any more ideas out there?

Valvegrid 12:49 11 Jun 2004

Just a thought, you don't have to delete all the DBX files, just delete the Inbox DBX file because that's the one that's giving trouble, it'll be recreated when OE opens next time.

Stuartli 13:26 11 Jun 2004

If you double-click on IE in Add/Remove Programs, you should get a panel up with three choices - select Repair.

After it is completed you may have to delete additional shortcuts etc on the Desktop.

Stuartli 13:27 11 Jun 2004

If you double-click on IE in Add/Remove Programs (if my memory serves me correctly), you should get a panel up with three choices - select Repair.

After it is completed you may have to delete additional shortcuts etc on the Desktop.

telkell 21:29 11 Jun 2004

Stuartli -- I tried your suggestion but no change- OE is still 'not responding'.
I tried another reinstall without effect,
Could the problem lie outside IE/OE and be connected with acommon link of some kind needed to open the Inbox? (Sorry, I know I am not using the correct technical words, but hope you get my drift?)
Valvegrid, I still feel a bit unconfident about trying your method and would be venturing in unfamiliar areas. What would actually be entered at 'Identities'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?