email not sent by me.

Iceman244 14:21 16 Dec 2010

Hi Everyone,
I got a text message from a friend this morning who said “I think you may have a virus on your computer as there’s a spam email from you to a few people with a dodgey website on it”

I got my friend to forward the email to me and it was an email to loads of people in my contact list but I had not sent it.

The content of the email is below:

This person’s heart is beating wildly for you! You can feel it from this memo transferred to you. take a look at it now at

click here

I am currently in dispute with a computer repair guy that I got from the yellow pages and I have emailed him previously from my Hotmail email address.

I am 100% certain he must have something to do with this as it is a rather nasty dispute.

Can someone please help me with this?

Also if someone has hacked my Hotmail account can I find out who this is and is it an offence I can report to the police?

This has really shaken me up and I don’t understand how my internet security, McAfee, has not stopped this.

I have also tried to find contact phone numbers to speak to someone at Hotmail or MSN but I can't find a phone number.

This has really shaken me up so please can someone help.

Thank you.

Graphicool1 15:26 16 Dec 2010

Hotmail Helpline...
click here
MSN Support...
click here
Windows Live Hotmail Customer Service...
click here

Sea Urchin 16:30 16 Dec 2010

Not a good idea to post the link to the "dodgy" website on the forum. If it's infected then you may infect others

rdave13 16:35 16 Dec 2010

It would be a good idea to change your email password to a stronger one.

Iceman244 16:39 16 Dec 2010

I am very sorry about posting the link I only realised what I had done after doing it.

Sorry once again.

I have taken the advice of Graphicool1 and have changed my password and installed updates.

The problem I am having now is when I launch windows live mail,which my hotmail account is linked to,it asks for my password again.

When I enter it again and tick the remember password box it then says:

Some errors have occured 1 of 2 tasks completed.

Any ideas?

Graphicool1 10:14 17 Dec 2010

Does it give you any option to see what the tasks were and/or what the errors are?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?