Email Migration from OE to Vista's Windows Mail

DJ-Garry 20:10 15 Jan 2008

Hi guys.

In the past I have copied my numerous email folders over to a freshly installed OS by saving the .dbx files in XP pro, re making the folders and then copying the .dbx files into the correct Windows directory.
Windows Mail, it seems, doesn't have .dbx files but saves the emails as individual .eml files. I can save these to a USB memory stick but can't seem to be able to save them into the Folders on the Vista PC. I have hundreds of email from 4 or 5 different account and have set up Vista to have all the correct folders and account log in information. It's just a case of saving the files into the right place.

What I did was select all the emails in one folder at a time, select forward, then save it to HDD. Then I transfered it to the other pc via the memory stick and opened it. But when it asks you where to save the attachments to, I can't access the Windows mail folders from the save pop up.

Any other ideas as to how to do this would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks, Garry

BurrWalnut 20:15 15 Jan 2008

EXPORT/IMPORT CONTACTS
1. Go to Outlook Express > File > Export > Address Book and select Comma Separated Values (CSV), select the fields you want and save it to an external device.
2. In Windows Mail go to File > Import > Windows Contacts, select CSV and browse to the file you exported from OE.

EXPORT/IMPORT MAIL BOXES
1. Go to Outlook Express > Tools > Maintenance Tab > Store Folder.
2. Make a note of its location and navigate to it. If you haven't moved it, it's here C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{1F719000-0D78-4B9A-A481-CCD006F11688}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. You may have to show 'hidden' files in Folder Options.
3. Copy the ‘Store Folder’ and its contents to an external source.
4. In Windows Mail go to File > Import > Messages and follow the wizard to import, say, your Inbox and Sent Items from the exported folder you made earlier.
5. Once these are imported, a sub-folder is created for each one imported. Go to it and drag the messages to the Inbox proper. Repeat this for Sent Items. After copying you can delete the now empty sub-folders.

As an alternative to 2 above, you could move the mail boxes to an easier to get at location, viz. Open My Documents and create a folder named Mail Boxes. Now go to OE > Tools > Maintenance Tab > Store Folder > Change and type the location of the new folder, e.g. My Docs\Mail Boxes. Close Outlook Express. The store location is now easier to navigate to and it isn’t hidden.

DJ-Garry 19:53 17 Jan 2008

Thanks. Garry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?