email help

nifermac 15:28 25 Mar 2007

Hi I am currently with Bt broadband with a btinternet email address. I would like to know if I change ISP will I loose this email address or will I still be able to access it through yahoo. Thanks

MAJ 15:33 25 Mar 2007

Yes you will lose the BTinternet email address, but they will usually (at least most ISPs do) leave it open for a while to enable you to make arrangements to inform your contacts. You can usually keep it open by creating a BT dialup account and signing into the account once in a while, usually once evry 30 or 90 days.

p;3 16:09 25 Mar 2007

I think I disagree with that ; but will be interested to see what happens when you have changed and seek to access the mails

do you use web mail or OE

nifermac 19:47 25 Mar 2007

p;3 i use both but not sure if that would make a difference

p;3 00:05 26 Mar 2007

I THINK you should be able to access it through OE
and I cannot see why you cannot access it on line either as you will still have your e mail address and password;
one of my 'views' on this is ...how do they know you are no longer a customer...will they know ..are they 'interested TO know '

you may need to change some settings ??when are you thinking of changing?

will be following this with interest

Taff™ 07:34 26 Mar 2007

I think you downgrade your BT Broadband to a dial up Pay As You Go service which retains your original e-mail address. Switch your BB to a new ISP.

On a PAYG account BT require you to log in using dialup at least once every 90 days (and send receive a message) otherwise they suspend the account and you have to re-activate it.

You can then set up your old BT account to be included in OE by simply changing the outgoing (SMTP) server to that of your new ISP.

bretsky 11:56 26 Mar 2007

Bookmarked.

p;3 20:06 26 Mar 2007

perhaps let us know when you do change so we can help you through the changeover? and I can see if I am proved right too::))

anchor 13:31 27 Mar 2007

I was with BT anytime for a while, with a BT e-mail address.

I changed the BT account to "pay-as-you-go" about 4 years ago, when I took Pipex broadband. I still use the BT address as the main one for friends.

I connect to BT, using a dial-up connection, about once a month. This keeps the BT e-mail address active.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017