Email folder attachments?

rdh660 16:28 31 Jan 2003

Is it possible to send a FOLDER containing a number of files as an email attachment in Outlook Express?
I know I can Zip the files together and send them as a Zip attachment but the person at the other is a beginner using email and a bit afraid of using Winzip.
I know the files could be sent as a self extracting zip but this would mean disabling their virus protection as I understand this sends an .exe file which is blocked and again they are hesitant to do this until they gain a bit more confidence.
Any ideas how I can attach a folder containing a number of files by mail given the above info so that I don't have to attach each file individually?

JoeC 17:05 31 Jan 2003

I am sure it is possible BUT you are, of course, limited to email attachment size limits. For example, if the folders size is over 1 MB, a lot of ISP's might not handle it. I would think that as long as the folder size was under the ISP limits, then it would be possible to send. I am just going to make up a folder of less than 1 MB and try and send it to myself !!

JoeC 17:09 31 Jan 2003

whenever I tried to attach it, it opened up. Hmmmm. Nice problem ! : }

jazzypop 17:13 31 Jan 2003

A simple workaround for the .exe attachment getting blocked.

Tell them to select the message, and click 'Forward'. The attachemnet will then be available for saving, opening whatever.

Try it by sending it to yourself first.

As far as I am aware, the .dbx format that OE uses has no concept of multiple attachments contained within a Windows folder - it is an open cross-platform standard.

rdh660 17:14 31 Jan 2003

JoeC
Seems to be such a simple thing to do and there must be a way but ....
Thanks for trying

Rob

1st RHA 17:14 31 Jan 2003

is it Outlook express, outlook, opera etc

rdh660 17:20 31 Jan 2003

Thanks for the workaround, I'll give it a try.

Don't know what I would do without you guys in the Helproom.....

Thanks once again everyone.

Regards Rob

rdh660 17:22 31 Jan 2003

I use Outlook Express. Seems this is unable to attach a straightforward folder containing files.

1st RHA 17:28 31 Jan 2003

or drop down menu or are you trying to drag and drop?

rdh660 17:40 31 Jan 2003

I use the dropdown menu usually

Andsome 17:43 31 Jan 2003

Save your folders in 'My documents'. Open new mail and create a curser in the body of the message, then click insert, select my documents and select the first folder. do this as often as you like to insert all the folders. I do this with moving clipart in my e-mails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017