EMail download problems - server hangs

ch0pper 19:12 10 Apr 2004

I have been having problems since yesterday with downloading emails.

I am using Outlook Express v 6.

My server is pop.dsl.pipex.com.

I get a message that OE is downloading message 46 of 91, when it seems to stop and an error emssage appears that tells me: Your POP3 server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait for another 60 seconds for the server to respond.

When i select Stop I get the follwoing message : A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Thinking there was a problem at my end, I rebooted and tried again. And again. And again.

I now have 5 copies of the same emails, but nothing from after 1600 hrs yesterday (Friday).

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this problem?

ams4127 19:27 10 Apr 2004

I have just had the exact same thing. One e-mail downloaded 4 times and the server timed out. I'm on Btinternet.

I got round the problem by using Mailwasher and deleting the offending item from the server itself.

Everthing is back to normal now.

ch0pper 20:33 10 Apr 2004

I downloaded the Mailwasher prog, found that it would import the details of my mail accounts from OE, and away I went.

I have no idea which email was causing the problem, but I was able to delete all the spam (buckets of the rubbish) and all is now well.

ams4127 19:47 12 Apr 2004

Great! I'm glad it worked.

The offending e-mail in my case, was sent from a friend and concerned the reply sent to the New Zealand Police when a man was sent a speeding ticket for a car he didn't own and was dated before he was born!! Probably one of those "round robin" things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?