email divert.

pj123 14:33 26 Sep 2005

Some time ago I was having a problem receiving emails in my NTL inbox so I set it up to receive in my Hotmail inbox as well. Works fine, I now get the same email twice. Once in NTL and once in Hotmail. Just had a 24 hour outtage in Hotmail and when it came back had 33 emails. Is there any way I can do the same thing with Hotmail as I did with NTL. That is, anyone sending to my Hotmail address will also come in to my NTL inbox.

MAJ 14:43 26 Sep 2005

I'm not familiar with NTL email, pj123, but if your Hotmail account is a POP account you could use either Outlook or Outlook Express as a "go-between", setting up a message rule in Outlook or OE , to forward any mail, addressed to your Hotmail account, to your NTL account. If you see what I mean.

pj123 14:48 26 Sep 2005

Thanks, MAJ. Will give it a try.

pj123 15:22 26 Sep 2005

MAJ, that doesn't work. Hotmail doesn't seem to be a POP3 account so there are no message rules.

It isn't that important to me but I have a friend running a worldwide business and only uses his Hotmail address on the website. He also had a 24 hour outtage which probably cost him a lot of lost business. I am trying to persuade him to use his normal ISP email address but as his Hotmail address is now well established it would be very difficult. He also travels a lot and would need to access his emails from wherever he is. Which is why he chose Hotmail in the first place.

MAJ 16:00 26 Sep 2005

"MAJ, that doesn't work. Hotmail doesn't seem to be a POP3 account so there are no message rules."

Hotmail only give a POP account if you pay for it, pj123, at least that used to be the case. That's why I now use Gmail, their POP access is free + their spam filtering is much better than Hotmail's, something for your friend to consider if he gets a lot of spam to his Hotmail account. Having said that, I can also understand why he wouldn't want to change from Hotmail if his address is well established.

pj123 13:52 01 Oct 2005

MAJ, so how do I get gmail?

All I get from the Google site is:

"How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?

We are currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test."

There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the site to actually sign/register for it?

click here

MAJ 14:09 01 Oct 2005

Email me with your email address, pj123, and I'll send you an 'invite' for Gmail.

pj123 14:38 01 Oct 2005

Thanks MAJ. email sent. Think I did it wrong first time so sent it again.

MAJ 14:48 01 Oct 2005

No, you did it right both times, PJ123. :-)

I have sent the invite to your email address.

pj123 15:06 01 Oct 2005

Thanks MAJ. All done.

MAJ 15:25 01 Oct 2005

Just got confirmation of your new email address from gmail, pj123, hope it works okay for you. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache