Email - denied relaying

igram 14:30 14 Jan 2003
  igram 14:30 14 Jan 2003

Can anybody explin why some of my emails are 'Error 550 - denied relaying by the Admininistrator'

This has happened on a number of replies to emails (usually none UK contacts)

Is it my provider (BT Broadband)?
Is it email provider (BT Internet)
Is it my Firewall (ZoneAlarm)?

Squall 15:09 14 Jan 2003

is a process usually used by spammers to send mail to people by somebody else's mail server. This allows them to use somebody elses resources and bandwidth rather than their own.

Using most email programmes you can send an email to any mail server that you know the name or address of. Depending on a variety of factors, your mail will either be sent on its way, or rejected by the mail server. The later will be what happens if relaying is denied on your mail server and you do not supply it with the correct authentication details.

It seems as though on some of your emails the mail server thinks that you are not an authorised user and thinks that you are trying to relay mail through it, that is why you are having your messages stoped. The problem is with your email provider I think

Squall 15:12 14 Jan 2003

And when you get messages back are they always to the same addresses, or do they sometimes get through and sometimes get bounced back?

igram 15:39 14 Jan 2003

Thanks. -I am using Incredimail, although the same effect on Outlook and OE6

I guess the recipients are communicating with me through a number of servers based in Spain ( assumption based on the email properties) and someone is not willing to re route their (my )messages

I was also wondering since my email account is a free 'dial in' account with BT Internet, and now I am on Broadband via BT Broadband and don't 'dial in' anymore, then I am at risk of having my pop3/smtp account closed. Any thoughts?

JoeC 16:01 14 Jan 2003

click here 550 - Relaying not allowed
This error message is coming from the mail server, not from OE itself. It means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user and so rejected your message. Most ISPs configure their SMTP servers to recognize only those whose IP address is on the accepted list, meaning that you are connected directly to that ISP. If you use multiple ISPs, you are likely to encounter this problem. The solution is to change the SMTP server for that mail account under Tools| Accounts| <account name> Properties| Servers

Chris the Ancient 18:44 14 Jan 2003

Have you just gone to another ISP or gone broadband?

When I went cable broadband, ntl wouldn't let me transmit any e-mails through my old dial-up accounts with freeserve and breathe (miserable gits) even though I can still collect mail from them.

Just a thought.

Chris

igram 18:54 14 Jan 2003

Yes its the same situation. I have not changed ISP - just taken BT Broadband with no frills, so I am relying on the old dial ups for my email account. At some stage I remember the suggestion that if you did not dial up over a three month period, your email address would get the heave ho. After all that's how they made their cash from the phone calls.(and the advertising)

Chris the Ancient 19:02 14 Jan 2003

So, it seems that you are in the same situation as me. Use your b/b to send on that acct and read all accts and then dial-up once a week to keep the old accounts active. I've not found a way round it - unfortunately. Pain in the bum, ain't it.

Unless someone else out there knows a better way....

Chris

Forum Editor 20:11 14 Jan 2003

at least as far as the smtp server situation is concerned, and that is to send all your outbound messages via your broadband ISP's smtp server.

If you have different email addresses, create new profiles for yourself in Outlook Express, each with a separate email address. Then, when you want to send a message from [email protected] you simply open that profile and send.

Now you want to send a message from [email protected] so you open that profile and send that message......and so on. Your ISP's smtp server will send all of them because you'll be connected to them, but the 'from' address in each case will be different, and people will reply to the various addresses. The replies will of course go to the relevant POP3 server, and you can use your broadband service to access as many of those as you like. Just configure your mail accounts in OE so that they all collect from the correct (different) POP3 boxes.

Lú-tzé 20:17 14 Jan 2003

Or even use your own smtp server - there are a number which can be downloaded freely from the web.

I use one called 1st smtp server from click here for the times that my ISP smtp server is out of order (frequently enough as it happens!). Simple to use and only requires that you tell your email prog that the smtp server is localhost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017