Email contains Red crosses where picture should be

The Mills 23:12 07 Jan 2005

I've received an email where the pictures have not been downloaded but a box with a red cross in the corner is shown. The box contains a link to a web page I want to go to but whenever I click on it I get the 'page not found' error screen. Am running Wanadoo broadband on Windows 98SE and with AVG Free anti-virus & Zone Alarms firewall.
Any ideas why the email doesn't download fully and why I can't access the page. The page definitely exists as I tried the link on pc at work and it displayed fine.

joethebow 23:27 07 Jan 2005

If you are running XP you may have Email protection enabled. At the top of the white email box, just below the grey is there a yellow bar asking you to click on it to view the picturers.

I missed the bar for the first two weeks after installing XP and wondered about all the red X's.

The Mills 23:30 07 Jan 2005

Sorry still running Windows 98se not XP

kevinjuan 23:37 07 Jan 2005

You could try downloading Java. I had the same problem and this worked for me. Sorry cant remember where from, try agoogle search.

kevinjuan 23:58 07 Jan 2005

Try this for Java, it's free.click here

LinuxPenguin 00:39 08 Jan 2005

This page contains info on removing them. click here

ICF 06:40 08 Jan 2005

Within Outlook Express click on tools,options then select the security tab and untick "Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail"

The Mills 23:44 08 Jan 2005

Sorry , tried Java & the regedit link and they don't work and the option in Outlook express is not there on my security tab.

lotvic 00:06 09 Jan 2005

try copying the link and pasting it into your browser address bar and then clicking on go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?