Email connection problem

geedad 13:23 30 Nov 2008

Returning to this subject, I am still experiencing a problem with a slow connection to my website ( NTLWORLD.COM, and email. It is taking up to 2 hours to connect even though the PC boots quickly enough.
What is interesting is that one of the errors pointed to AVG anti-virus (free), as follows:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'HOME', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90
============================================
I have now uninstalled AVG and installed another AV program (PREVX 2), to see if that makes any differnce when I boot up next time from cold.

I have a 3GHz Intel Pentium 4 HT, ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card, and 160 GB drive, using Windows XP Home, SP2.
I regularly use CCleaner, defrag and keep up-to -date with spyware etc, but this is a nuisance not being able to quickly access emails. ( OE 6)
Any help would be appreciated.
geedad

Sea Urchin 14:45 30 Nov 2008

Since you uninstalled AVG and replaced it is your access to ntlworld any quicker? And can you get to your email more quickly by going to webmail(dot)ntlworld(dot)com ?

You certainly have more patience than I do waiting 2 hours to access your messages.

Pineman100 15:04 30 Nov 2008

The following article may help you - you'll need to adapt its instructions to suit your own ISP's own POP3 server, your email address and password.

However, before you run through the telnet procedure, it might be worth just deleting your Outlook Express account and recreating it.

Pineman100 15:04 30 Nov 2008

...forgot the link!

click here

BurrWalnut 15:08 30 Nov 2008

That message normally refers to a 'stuck' email.

Try going to your ISP's site and look for an anomaly in the unread emails, e.g. perhaps a large attachment.

geedad 20:55 30 Nov 2008

Sea Urchin.
Will come back to you on both questions later. I have just been invaded by Sonic Heroes....

Pineman100
BurrWalnut
Thanks for the tips. Come back with full replies later. Can't get to my PC long enough for the same reason I gave Sea Urchin!

Thank you all

geedad

geedad 09:33 17 Dec 2008

Pineman100
BurrWalnut
Sea Urchin
Tried your suggestions, to no avail. I have been in touch with Virginmedia/ntlworld to express my concern that my connection is taking so long, and they have checked it to find that it is too slow.
It IS 5 years old, and they are sending me a new one.................fingers crossed that it will do the trick!
geedad

geedad 23:20 21 Dec 2008

Pineman100
BurrWalnut
Sea Urchin
....and any other forum member interested in this subject.
Virginmedia(ntlworld.com)sent me a new modem................. it is now installed, and it has done the trick!
My email and website connections are established moments after my PC is booted.
Many thanks to all responses by forum members.
geedad

Sea Urchin 23:57 21 Dec 2008

Good to hear of a successful result from Virgin - and thanks for the feedback

Pineman100 18:00 22 Dec 2008

A lot of people don't bother to report back on the success or failure of recommended solutions, which means that nobody else benefits from the information.

Thanks for doing so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?