Email Connection

Mabinogion 01:32 17 Dec 2006

Hi you helped me the other day regarding my connection icons explaining to me how I had two, so could you explain to me please what is happening now regarding my Outlook Express Connection.
I have the new desktop up and running with the Orange B/Band and the laptop connected wirelessly as I explained in my earlier message but because the new D/top has the usual pre-installed Norton Antivirus protection stuff you get with Norton it scans everything in and out (you know how it goes) but I also had the free AVG Programme but have de-activated that as it was easier and quicker but for some reason everytime I open Outlook Express the connection takes ages and then it is timed out and gives this message:
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: my name Server: 'POP3.freeserve.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
I have checked the Properties on the accounts section for the OE and not sure if I should have to box ticked for 'Always connect to this account using' and greyed out in the box it says 'Local Area Network' but hav tried it with the box ticked and unticked and it wont connect to get the email, if I keep trying then maybe later on it will work but it never did this before so could you explain please what could be wrong.
Thanks
Kath

brundle 01:55 17 Dec 2006

click here

Disable AV email scanning and see if the problem disappears.

Mabinogion 02:13 17 Dec 2006

Hi
I have tried that as I mentioned above and it's still the same, it is working again now but once I log off and back on again the problem is still there and it won't connect again.

brundle 02:27 17 Dec 2006

Haven't seen your original post - I take it you mean you have Norton on one machine and AVG on another? Not both on the same machine at the same time?
You can disable email scanning with Norton, the link I posted mentions Norton specifically - it isn't entirely clear from your post which machine is the problem and which AV software is on that machine.
Two machines connected to one wireless router, each using different AV software will not conflict - if by coincidence both computers check the same email account at the same time you may see delays/failure on one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?