Email attachments

aitch2 18:25 11 Jan 2008

Currently using WinXP-SP2 with IE6 and up until a week ago have had no problems. Have been able to send/ receive emails with and without attachments but since I did the Windows update earlier on this week, I can send email with attachments (all types) but it seems that although I receive emails indicating that they have an attachment, on opening the attachment is either not there or does not appear. Have checked the control panel/ settings/ IE options and everything appears fine. Have checked the message rules, and the emails are from known and trusted and usual sources. Anything else I may have missed or is it related to the updates? Computer runs ok otherwise with no problems. Would an update to IE7 be a better option? Any help much appreciated,
Thanks
Aitch

johnnyrocker 18:41 11 Jan 2008

you may find the problem is with the sender and their security configuration, to prove this click on forward and if the attachment appears it is the senders prob.

johnny

mfletch 19:17 11 Jan 2008

Or it could be,

This usually means that Outlook Express is configured to read all messages as plain text and you are viewing a message that was sent in HTML format. The attachment in this case is not really an attachment at all, merely a visual indication that there is more to the message than you are currently seeing,

mfletch

aitch2 19:42 11 Jan 2008

Thanks for the replies. To broaden the situation a little more, the emails are from my daughter in Uni.She has done work using 'Adobe Illustator' and her work is saved within a 'MSWord document'. It is this attachment that I do not receive. She hasn't used HTML format. Her settings appear to be ok, and I have no problem sending her (or anyone else for that matter) an email + attachments, so I am at a loss as to where the problem lies.
Aitch

aitch2 19:54 11 Jan 2008

Forgot to add that when I tried 'JohnnyRockers' suggestion the attachment did not appear.

lotvic 20:08 11 Jan 2008

send yourself a test email with an attachment.
This will show whether or not it is your settings that are stopping incoming email attachments.

aitch2 20:10 11 Jan 2008

Thanks, have already done that and so has the daughter, both ok. Problem still exists,
Aitch

mfletch 20:12 11 Jan 2008

I am not sure what the problem is but have you looked in your spam messages just in case it has been put in there?

Also what security do you use,

Has it been removed by your mail scanner?

These are just suggestions to try,

mfletch

Technotiger 20:13 11 Jan 2008

Try a System Restore back to when it all worked ok.

VoG II 20:22 11 Jan 2008

Are you using Outlook Express or webmail?

aitch2 20:28 11 Jan 2008

I'm using Mailwasher + AVG free with Windows firewall. Get plenty of spam messages but Mailwasher gets rid of these. Using OE and all updates are regularly installed.
Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone