email address hijack?

tmr 18:53 05 Feb 2008

I have started receiving spam emails from my own email address. Does this mean someone has cloned my email address name or are they actually sending emails via my ISP?
Either way - HOW DO I STOP IT?

Technotiger 19:00 05 Feb 2008

I don't think you can stop it, but it will 'go away' of its own accord!

click here

palinka 19:05 05 Feb 2008

Someone will point you to other threads about this on this forum, but the simple answer is do nothing - delete it.
I remember an explanqation on this forum that went something like this : someone - unknown to you, possibly completely unconnected with you, has an infected computer that has allowed his address book to be "read"; the spammer then uses addresses at random to spam. Hence you've been spammed by "yourself" although it isn't by you. It can also happen via your email address being on a website that has been similarly trawled for email addresses.
It happened to 2 people I know recently.
there is nothing you can do because you have no way of knowing whose mail list was used for this.
It will stop if you just ignore it.
As I see it the biggest danger to you is that someone who received this spam from "you" may have your address listed as spam on their email and therby will not be able to receive genuine emails from you.

palinka 19:06 05 Feb 2008

Technotiger types faster than me!

Technotiger 19:29 05 Feb 2008

He he - for the amount of words involved, I think it was 'no contest' LoL ...........

tmr 16:17 06 Feb 2008

Technotiger & Palinka
Thanks for the reassurance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?