email

Iceman244 16:24 06 Apr 2008

I have just got my laptop back from being repaired and have loaded everything on and downloaded Internet Explorer 7 which includes Outlook Express 6.

When it was being repaired it had to be restored.

Now when I launch outlook express and try and send / receive messages, the error message below appears.

The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Also when I click on the start button the email icon appears for Outlook Express 6 which is correct, but the icon appears for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 which I believe came as part of my MS Office package.

Do I need to delete this programme or Icon?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Ice.

Diodorus Siculus 16:34 06 Apr 2008

Go into Outlook Express and from within the account properties, ensure that you have the correct SMTP and POP3 servers for your ISP.

Your ISP help pages will tell you what these should be, or you can post here and someone will be able to help.

Diodorus Siculus 16:35 06 Apr 2008

click here for how to create a new OE shortcut if you need one.

Do you have OE shortcut anywhere else?

Iceman244 17:24 06 Apr 2008

Thanks Diodorus but not sure what you mean is it possible you could give me more detail on what to do ?

As not sure where to find the information.

Thanks

Ice

Diodorus Siculus 00:14 07 Apr 2008

click here for a guide for Virgin Mail; others will be similar - if you tell us your ISP we can give you the exact settings.

Iceman244 20:38 07 Apr 2008

My ISP is Orange.

Thanks

Ice

beeuuem 21:05 07 Apr 2008

From click here=$solution_id&groupId=1&directSolutionLink=3&gotoLink=0&page=&clusterName=DefaultCluster&docType=1006&docPropValue=kb193
Server settings

The address of the Orange POP mail server is: pop.orangehome.co.uk
The address of the Orange SMTP mail server is: smtp.orangehome.co.uk
Do NOT use secure password authentication to access mail

beeuuem 21:08 07 Apr 2008

Sorry - the link is click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone