email

funnybone 08:57 22 Jun 2004

Please could you tell me how I can stop my grandson going to my email, last time he found it he gave an inapropriate message to my friend (as a supposed joke). However because of his problems we want him to have access to the internet, as he is very interested in geography and history. I use a password to open the internet but we can just get email by clicking on mail as you know, so that is easy for him. Any suggestions? Thanks

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:34 22 Jun 2004

What Browser/mail programs do you use ?

Arthur Scrimshaw 15:35 22 Jun 2004

Ok - for outlook express -

launch OE

in the tool bar click on Tools, Accounts, Mail

(You will need to do this for all email accounts to be secure)

For each one select Properties, servers, then uncheck the 'Remember Password' box and clear your password.

Below this is 'Outgoing Mail Server' - tick 'My Server Requires Authentication' and click on 'Settings' - make sure the button marked 'Use same settings as Incoming Mail Server' is ticked.

Now when receiving or sending email you will be prompted for your password. You need to do this for all accounts to be secure.

I am assuming he will not know how to create a new account here.

mgmcc 16:26 22 Jun 2004

In Outlook Express, you can set up password protected "Identities" so that you must log on to your own identity with a password in order to view or download your mail.

From the menus, "File > Identities > Manage Identities".

NOTE: After using your personal identity, you must log out before closing Outlook Express, otherwise that identity will be opened by default next time the program is launched, without requiring a password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?