Eliminate Duplicate files

johnincrete 07:28 23 Feb 2009

What is the easiest way to detect files that are duplicated in two folders?
I would want to be sure that the contents of apparent duplicates are the same not just the file names.

laurie53 08:25 23 Feb 2009

Use a duplicate file finder, widely available and free.

Try Google, or look at some old PCA discs.

Sea Urchin 12:19 23 Feb 2009

Some words of warning maybe

click here

johnincrete 13:54 23 Feb 2009

Sea Urchin
The files I want to eliminate are documents and audio files NOT system files. I don't want an automated process just one that says, for example, that "atest.doc" is in folder A and Folder B and is identical in each folder.

Sea Urchin 14:04 23 Feb 2009

You're not confusing the various document folders are you? If so read this before deleting

click here

laurie53 20:02 23 Feb 2009

Most duplicate file finders simply present you with a list of dupes.

You select, normally by an individual check box or similar, which one you want to keep.

brundle 22:35 23 Feb 2009

I've been using DoubleKiller for ages, it's not perfect but seems more straightforward than any of the other freebies I've tried - it checks files by any combination of name/size/date/content; click here

Rose82 23:47 17 May 2009

I had a similar problem. I used the [URL="click here"]duplicate photo remover[/URL] which is called Clone Remover. And I decided my problem. It works not only with the pictures. What do you think about it?

john bunyan 10:13 18 May 2009

i Tunes has its own facility for finding duplicate audio files.I found with some finding software it was difficult to decide if the files were dups or back ups.

Rose82 17:13 19 Jul 2009

Now I use Clone Remover to <a href="click here">find images and music files duplicates</a> I had a lot of duplicates of musical files on my PC. That's why I was recommended programme Clone Remover. It works not only with the pictures and musical files. May be it will help you. Good luck!

AllanIsKing 15:41 20 Jul 2009

Hi johnincrete

You should try Directory Report click here
It can find duplicates files.
Plus if you only want to compare two folders, it can compare every file in the folders and show side by side if the files are the same or different

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?