Electromagnetic pest repeller;how does it work?

commute 11:55 08 Aug 2017

I have an issue with mice that are not in my house but come to my property; I already have bait down done by a professional ; however I have purchased a sonic machine ( Pest stop pest repeller )that has an electromagnetic signal that covers the house through the wiring system ; but what exactly does that mean? How does it work? does size matter in this instance as I have a small house but this machine can cover a large house?

Any advise on these machines and how they work and if so safely will be welcome; my worry is when it says it uses the house wiring; what exactly does that mean ?

Many thanks for any help with this

wee eddie 11:59 08 Aug 2017

Snake Oil, that's what it is

commute 12:23 08 Aug 2017

Lets try this again; I dso not have a snake I have uninvited mice and have purchased a pest repeller that has an electromagnetic signal that covers the house through the wiring system ; but what exactly does that mean? How does it work? Any advise on these machines and how they work and if so safely will be welcome; my worry is when it says it uses the house wiring; what exactly does that mean ?

Govan1x 12:27 08 Aug 2017

There should be a small button on it that you press to hear the noise it sends out.

I had mice in my loft a long time ago and had the council get rid of them all. Bought a similar thing to you. Plug in the wall and have used that for the last 7 years. have the mice returned. Not sure as i cannot hear them any more, But maybe I am getting a bit deaf now.

Neighbour has a couple of cats now which come into my garden now and again and if there are any mice out there I would imagine they would get them.

So maybe get a cat for outside and your pest repeller for inside.

Does it really work. The answer is I am not sure but not seen or heard the pesky mice about since.

wee eddie 13:41 08 Aug 2017

Sorry "commute" I made an assumption.

In traditional American parlance, "a Snake Oil Salesman" is a confidence trickster. I assumed that you would understand that.

These machines only work for those who believe that they work. There is no certified evidence that this noise, they make, deters mice

Forum Editor 22:44 09 Aug 2017

Moved to Tech Helproom from Consumer Rights Advice.

Peter~24 12:30 10 Aug 2017

commute,

I have used some of these "whole house" rodent deterrents at several different locations. They work by injection a varying ultrasonic signal into the house wiring which then radiates an ultrasonic noise which annoys the rats and mice. As Govan1x mentions there may be a facility on the device to demonstrate that it is working by emitting an audible to humans, lower frequency version of the noise.

The "whole house" devices work better than the ordinary noisy deterrent, which will cover, say a kitchen worktop, but not the floor area. For the floor an extra device would be needed.

The problem with all these deterrents is that people expect immediate results, but this may not happen. One explanation for this is that a mouse with young will not disturb the nest until the young can look after themselves. This takes about 3 to 4 weeks, so results may not be apparent for about a month, but once established, mostly mice and rats will stay away form the annoying noise. Some may come in to check availability of food and nesting space, but most will stay away. Another situation where mice will come into a new area is when they are disturbed by building work nearby, but these mice and rats will still not stay for long because of the ultrasonic noise.

Peter.

Forum Editor 15:28 10 Aug 2017

There are mixed reactions to these deterrents from consumers. The fact is, mice very rapidly become accustomed to noises in their environment and the general consensus is that ultrasonic deterrents are not particularly effective in the long term.

commute 20:17 10 Aug 2017

Someone has commented about getting the council to deal with the mice but I presume that is only if the mice are nesting in the property which in my case they are not ; the other concensus seems to be that these ultrasound machines actually do not work effectively? I am also wondering what has sparked off this annoyance as we have been clear of problems for years ; is there an increase of mice in the country or....

john bunyan 20:55 10 Aug 2017

Get a cat.

Belatucadrus 12:02 11 Aug 2017

We purchased one some years ago, the best results we've obtained is to get the mice to move out for a couple of days until they acclimatize to the noise, they then come back. I don't rate them as being of much use at all.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017