Electric connection going

eysha 21:39 11 Sep 2008

The electric connection on my laptop is quite loose now and if it goes i cannot charge the battery so the laptop will be rendered useless.
How much would it cost me to get it fixed and how do they fix it?
I am hoping it is not just glued/soldered back together - is it?
Thanks in advance
E.

woodchip 21:58 11 Sep 2008

Most likely yes. Its the Time spent thats going to cost, plus the know how

sean-278262 21:59 11 Sep 2008

It depends on the specific circumstances of the issue, soldering coming loose, the plastic surrounds needing replacing or issue with the connection fit.

Sometimes it just requires resoldering of the joints. Usually this will cost about £60-150 depending on the specific machine, most often . Usually it is more economical to replace the entire machine. Considering you can get a new laptop for £200-£300 that will likely match or exceed the old machine.

sean-278262 22:02 11 Sep 2008

most often... it will be at the upper end of this price bracket and can be more but in my experience most people tend to pay about 150 if the laptop is sent back to the manufacturer. I have seen smaller computer stores repairing it for about 60-80 however.

chub_tor 22:08 11 Sep 2008

click here is how they do it for £100 including parts and VAT. Never needed to use them and hope that I never will.

eysha 18:46 12 Sep 2008

Thanks for the replies, the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite and 20 months old.
Chub-tor, the link doesn't work.
I have been told it might be that it is coming away from the motherboard, if this is the case how would i know, or wouldn't i?
if that is the case would i have to get a new laptop, being the cheaper option?
thanks again E.

chub_tor 18:52 12 Sep 2008

Just tried the link and it works for me. The home page is click here and click on broken power connector pins.

woodchip 18:57 12 Sep 2008

Link works for me also. If its only 20 months old then I would say its worth mending

bristolgirl 17:23 23 Nov 2009

Hi

Sorry to add to this question but I have the same problem on my Acer Aspire Laptop.

I have been quoted £170 by my local computer shop to repair it. However, I am in a quandary, as this is a lot of money and my laptop is over 3 years old. Not that old I feel and otherwise I am quite happy with it.

I couldn't repair it myself despite the very useful link on how to do this.

I guess I am asking advice as what I should do.

Many thanks!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 23 Nov 2009

"I guess I am asking advice as what I should do."

Get some more quotes.

click here
are highly recommended.

mooly 18:46 23 Nov 2009

Erm... just looked at chub_tor's link above and have to say I hope the Silcone Sealant used is the type that cure's without giving of acetic acid (strong vinegar smell) as that is highly corrosive to electronic components etc. And "common" types of super glue give of "salts" as they dry... that white bloom you see.

Unfortunately high charges for simple repairs have become the way of things... the cost of the parts is peanuts, you are paying for time and the skill to work on such things.
£170 for a DC power socket... IMO that's outrageous.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone