Eh! What Could Be Using This HHD ?

Robotic_Rob 20:46 04 Apr 2004

Hey, Im wanting to format my 2nd hdd. But just after ive set it to run it comes up with an error message saying "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive." But i only have the "My Computer" window up.

So what could be using this hdd? I dont use it any more as ive just got a new pc and ive stuck in this hhd in as a slave and copied the bits i want. And now i want to format the bugger so i know its nice and clean for when i want to use it.

Im running Win XP and Norton System Works And Zone Alarm Pro from startup. Just mentioning that if that would show any light to this prob.

Cheers

Rob

jimv7 20:53 04 Apr 2004

Press f8 on start up and choose safe mode, then carry out your format.

VoG II 20:54 04 Apr 2004

Or boot from a boot disk click here and do it in DOS.

Robotic_Rob 21:13 04 Apr 2004

what would be the commands in dos to do this? As i only know with confidence how to format in windows

VoG II 21:18 04 Apr 2004

After booting with the floppy you should be at a command ptrompt like

A:\>

Type in

Format D:

where D is the disk you want to format. Check it is the right one first by doing

DIR D:

and see what's on it.

Quiller. 21:47 04 Apr 2004

In windows X\P even though you are using the drive as slave, certain utilities are still running. These are usually the recycle bin and system restore.

To turn off the recycle bin, right click the desktop icon and then choose properties. You should have a list of drives. On global pick the configure drives independently tab,apply, then go to the drive letter of your slave drive. Move the slider to zero percent and then tick the tab for remove files immediately when deleted for this drive.

To turn off system restore on the slave drive. Right click my computer and pick properties. Then pick the system restore tab. High light the slave drive letter and pick settings, now tick the box to turn off system restore for that drive.

reboot the system.

Right click my computer and pick manage. Now scroll down to disk management and enter. Your hard drives will now be listed on the right side of the window. Right click the drive and pick the format option.

You should now be able to format the drive.

broggs 23:01 04 Apr 2004

look for a free program called enditall this will show you all th hidden programs that are working in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?