Efficient Driver-checking application for Windows

tallboy 14:47 19 May 2017

For a long time I have used Driver Genius for keeping my drivers up to date. However, earlier today, I noticed that Windows was warning me that my C: drive (an SSD) was getting full - too full for safe working. I then used TreeSize to see where all the space was being used and discovered that Driver Genius had two Program Data files that were over 20GB each! I promptly moved these to my hard drive and un-installed Driver Genius. I now need a much more efficient driver-checking application. Has anyone got any recommendations as to what to use? Thanks.

Burn-it 18:15 19 May 2017

Drive or DriveR??] The two are different beasts.

MJS WARLORD 18:23 19 May 2017

what drivers do you want a special program to update , i manually check g card drivers , windows updates is on. manufacturers of monitor say dont get updates from 3rd parties and once printers are running i have never updated a driver.

a tip .... if you are new to ssd drives .... dont defrag an ssd to try and gain memory as you can reduce their life span , also some manufactures actually say you can damage an ssd if you defrag it.

tallboy 20:07 19 May 2017

Thanks for the posts. I should have said Driver Genius 17 (I used to use Driver Genius 16) for checking on driver status every few months. OK, I guess it a bit easier to let a driver program run through all the drivers rather than doing each one manually via the control panel. (Apart from those that Windows Update changes.) You are continually reminded in the press to keep drivers up to date - hence the use of Driver Genius 17. Thanks for the tip on not defragging SSDs MJS Warlord - I was aware of this. In fact most recent de-fragging programs I have encountered can tell if the drive is an SSD and hence do not defag it.

alanrwood 20:44 19 May 2017

IOBit Driver Booster Free does a pretty good job.

rdave13 00:26 20 May 2017

I've never liked these types of software. Granted that Windows, Intel, Nvidia and AMD do 'phone home' for updates but they are standard, and have been around for years, so their security and privacy of data should be assured.

Using a third-party software on top is a no-no for me. Just my personal view on security.

alanrwood 09:07 20 May 2017

This is certainly a subject that exposes differing views.

tallboy 11:25 20 May 2017

Thanks for the posts everyone. I have used IOBit Driver Booster in the past; maybe I'll give it another go. Driver Genius 17 worked fine, but Product Data files it created were huge. This maybe because I had used it for a number of years; it seemed to store up every driver under the sun rather than just the ones you need. When you uninstall it, the routine does not wipe out the Product Data, so you are left with several GB of unnecessary files to remove manually.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?