Is this the effects of a virus

rabies 23:09 05 Mar 2004

My son is running Windows Me on his computer. When he starts up the only icon on the taskbar is for Kerio firewall, which won't run, all the rest have disappeared. The start button brings up the program menu but most programs don't start. When he right clicks on the desktop no menu comes up. He is using AVG free edition anti-virus software. Is this the result of a virus and if it isn't has something gone wrong with the system that he'll have to reinstall Windows?

gudgulf 23:18 05 Mar 2004

If this has happened very recently,try a system restore to before the problem occurred.

GANDALF <|:-)> 04:16 06 Mar 2004

click here

This is unlikely but worth checking, open 'Control Panel' and select 'Add/Remove Programs'. Check for the program entries of WinSrvReg and Friend Greetings. If found delete and do a full AV scan.

You could also try the following.........
1) Ctrl+alt+delete and identify sysu.exe in the processes list.

2) Close it, and go to C:\Program Files.

3) Locate the folder ddm and delete it.

4) Click on start > run and type in regedit.

5) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE remove the folder ddm.

6) Click on start > run and type in msconfig.

7) Click on the right-most tab labeled startup.

8) Scroll down and locate an entry with no command line.

9) Uncheck the box and apply all changes.

10) Reset your computer, check the checkbox for a window that comes up saying you changed startup settings. of course a backup of the registry is de rigueur ;-))

Also worth trying just in case.......Right-click on the desktop, select 'Arrange Icons By' and check the 'Show Desktop Icons'.

G

rabies 08:35 06 Mar 2004

gudgulf and Gandalf
Thanks for the advice. I'll be going round to his place today and try these out. I'll let you know the results.

rabies 19:38 06 Mar 2004

Hi, gudgulf and Gandalf, I couldn't do any of the things you suggested. It seems that no applications (exe.) will run, although AVG still can, but not directly from its icon, and reports no viruses. I can open control panel and Windows explorer from My Computer but can't run anything from within them. I can't even reinstall Me. When the Me disk is inserted the first 2 items (browse and other progs won't open but documentaion will. It won't open in Explorer either. I can open documents and even jpegs but nothing else!
Any ideas or is this fatal?

Chegs ® 20:50 06 Mar 2004

I was reading about a similar problem on a puter,and the cause was the virus pointed out by GANDALF <|:-)> earlier.It was sometimes possible to boot in safemode,then Ctrl+Alt+Del and shutdown all un-neccessary progs,search for the viruses files(only I cannot find the page again,to tell you what files to look for)delete them and this stops the virus from running.I will see if I can relocate the google groups page that had the full instructions on.

rabies 21:59 08 Mar 2004

I don't know what it was but I gave up and decided to reformat. I put in the Me start up disk and read the help file. One of the items was to check the registry with the command :- scanreg/restore, which I did. It came up with some registry cabs to restore. It worked! I wish I knew what caused it though.
Thanks for your help everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?