Editing Sound on Camera Movie Files

olyman 10:45 23 Feb 2008

The sound produced by my Canon Ixus in Movie mode is surprisingly good but the resulting files, MVI-AVI, combine the sound with the video stream.
Is there any way of separating the sound from the video so that the sound can be edited or removed.
I am using Vista but Windows Movie Maker seems incapable of manipulating the sound track.

eedcam 11:38 23 Feb 2008

Most video editors will enable editing of the sound as it is if you start removing the sound and putting it back a risk of Sync probs .Can be done . If you dont have one you could try one of the free trials most offer ..If you intend to do much editing as Wmm is pretty basic

olyman 17:45 23 Feb 2008

Thanks eedcam,
Can you recommend a simple program?
I have Ulead Movie Factory and Roxio Creator but these are OEM versions and don't seem to have audio functions in their basic forms. Neither have impressed me enough to make me want to install full versions.
WMM has a function which can be used to vary audio levels during playback within the program but this editing isn't remembered - or am I missing something? Apart from sound editing WMM covers all my simple video editing needs. All I want to do is fade the existing sound in and out during playback.

eedcam 18:31 23 Feb 2008

You can do fade in/out with wmm but not all that clever you can always Mute it .Appreciate if wmm does allyou want bar this not much point in spending money/Ulead movie factory I have but never use /Adobe premiere elements will let you edit the sound quite well but pricey.Is this just background noise if so you could mute the track and add a soft music background with wmm

olyman 19:55 23 Feb 2008

Sorry to keep bothering you.
I have been playing with WMM but can't find a way of muting only a section of the Audio track. It's either all or nothing. Is there some way of copying the audio, editing to cut out the offending chatter, and reinserting with a silent bit in the middle? Not looking for anything fancy, silence would do!

olyman 20:17 23 Feb 2008

I've just realised that I can do a what I want by splitting the clip and muting just that section and fading the sound out and in on the clips at either side. Crude but better than nothing.
Thanks for your input. Explaining the problem helped sort my ideas out

eedcam 22:41 23 Feb 2008

Well ther you go glad you are sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone