Editing .PDF files

WhiteTruckMan 12:51 20 Feb 2006

I have a large pdf file that I need to do some editing on. Ideally change it to a word document. I know it can be done, as I've done it before, but I cant for the life of me remember how. Anyone want to come to my rescue then watch me kick myself?

WTM

Forum Editor 13:05 20 Feb 2006

do you have?

Damn Machine 13:28 20 Feb 2006

The easiest way would be to use Solid Converter, which adds-in to Word and lets you open PDFs directly.

Otherwise you could try selecting all the document and pasting into word.
To resave as a PDF you can use one of the free PDF writers click here
which add into as a printer that use PDFs for ouput rather than paper.

WhiteTruckMan 13:28 20 Feb 2006

At the moment I'm using 4.0
Not the newest version, but usually suffices for my needs (most often for viewing motherboard manuals).

WTM

Forum Editor 13:38 20 Feb 2006

Do you mean Adobe Acrobat version 4.0?

If you do, you can go to 'Edit' and select 'copy file to clipboard'. Then paste the whole lot into a Word document. be warned that this is a broad-brush solution, you'll lose formatting when the file contents copy across.

You should also be aware that motherboard manuals are subject to copyright, and if you intend to edit and /or distribute the information contained in them - in whole or in part - you'll need the consent of the company concerned.

€dstowe 15:43 20 Feb 2006

Remember that some pdf documents are locked and cannot be edited.

WhiteTruckMan 22:16 20 Feb 2006

thanks fe-thats how I did it before.

The reason I wanted it was that I downloaded from the U.N.'s website a pdf document listing all the UN numbers of chemicals, details etc. All I need is the numbers, names and packing groups (and maybe the transport catagory) so I can tell my employer to get stuffed when they try to (illegally) transport hazardous material on my vehicle. The original document would print at 400+ pages, and I wanted to cut it down a bit!

The bit about manuals was an unintentional red herring I'm afraid-sorry.

WTM

BTW, if anyone is interested, the full document is here.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?