Editing existing website

manrow 14:58 02 Jul 2008

I am coming across lots of problems trying to edit an existing website.

I am trying to use FrontPage, but it has been sugested that the site was built using DreamWeaver and this may be causing the conflict.

So the question is can an existing site be edited by any of the available software systems or do you need to know what created it in the first place and use the same?

Kemistri 16:07 02 Jul 2008

A qualified "yes and no" is the answer to that.

Many WYSIWYG apps can import complete sites via FTP or HTTP, but the results may not always be perfect. For example, I am aware of that older versions of Net Objects Fusion were described as weak at site import. I have no first-hand experience of FP at all, so I do not know how reliable its imports are. DW is likely to be better, I suppose, but I have never used that for imports. I prefer to hand code and certainly don't use WYSIWYG apps to edit existing sites.

Taran 16:37 02 Jul 2008

FrontPage 2003 and Dreamweaver can co-exist perfectly for site development.

Earlier versions of FrontPage were not meant to interact with Dreamweaver sites, although it's fair to say that you can edit a site in any editor as long as you know how.

Your problem could be that you may be trying to use features that require the FrontPage server extensions, or if you are using an earlier version of FrontPage it could be shoving lots of unnecessary code in and mangling any Dreamweaver behaviours.

There are loads of ways in which this could fail and lots of ways in which it can work perfectly.

A bit more detail of the software versions and the kinds of problems you are seeing would help.

Forum Editor 19:17 03 Jul 2008

into FrontPage?

Import the site, and then save it to your hard drive as a FrontPage site - you'll be prompted to allow FP to create a special folder for it.

Then make your changes. Once you're happy that everything is as you want it you can tell FrontPage to preview the site in your browser. That will give you a good idea of what it will look like on the internet. When you're sure that everything looks right you can publish the site to the server; FrontPage will do it for you.

If you have any doubts you could create a subdomain and publish the site to it. That way you can see how it looks before you remove the old Dreamweaver site. Once all is well you can delete the Dreamweaver files and publish the FP site again - this time into the root of your server space - and then delete the sub-domain. It might all sound long-winded, but this method is a belt and braces fail-safe, and you'll only do it once.

As Taran rightly says, if you're trying to use any of the special FrontPage features,like animated text effects, or discussion forums, you'll need to have the FrontPage extensions installed on your hosting account. You can often activate the extensions yourself, via your hosting control panel. Otherwise you'll need to ask your web host to do it for you - most (but not all) of them will do it on request.

ethelbert 14:06 04 Jul 2008

you'll need to have the FrontPage extensions installed on your hosting account. You can often activate the extensions yourself, via your hosting control panel. Otherwise you'll need to ask your web host to do it for you - most (but not all) of them will do it on request.

===
Though nowadays lots of hosts are not using FP extensions I thought.
====
Manrow, Why don't you upgrade to Microsoft's replacement of Frontpage? It is an excellent programme and is called Expression Web. You can purchase and upgrade, being you have Frontpage at Amazon. You may use any version except Express to upgrade.
EW is the nearest thing to DW that I know of. It is very good at helping you to learn/use CSS too.

Ethel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?