Editing DVD VTS-VOB files

Quiet Life 00:16 16 Feb 2007

I am trying to edit afamily DVD which has the usual VTS -VOB files.
I am looking for either a free program to convert to files to be edited on either Windows Movie Maker or Pinnacle 9 or advice on how I should configure Super 2007.
I have tried on Super 2007 but have failed to convert to files editable on the above programs.
Converting to WMA worked for the video part but I cannot get the sound.

eedcam 09:22 16 Feb 2007

click here
free Virtual-dub mpeg 2 to convert to avi then you can use wmm or you can edit in virtual dub.Of course Wmm cant burn to dvd.

Quiet Life 12:37 16 Feb 2007

Thanks eedcam have not been able to enter the VOB files as I get message "MPEG INPUT FILTER INVALID PACK AT POSITION 3. Marker not set possibly MPEG 2 stream."
It did however convert the files that Super converted which enabled me to edit in W.Movie Maker.
Converting in Super takes hours and if Virtual -dub can be configured to convert the VOB files to AVI it would be much better. Further help appreciated as I have a lor more to convert.

Quiet Life 13:20 16 Feb 2007

It would seem that Virtual-dub does convert VOB files which are basically MPEG 2 files.
Any other free programs which allow a direct conversion of VOB to AVI

scotty 13:30 16 Feb 2007

I came across this prog today: click here

I have not used it, so I cannot comment on it but it looks like it may be suitable.

eedcam 13:49 16 Feb 2007

Wrong way round scotty
Quietlife Vdub is well known and supported why not check google for Mpeg editors save converting.In fact you can do some basic editing with dvs shrink

eedcam 13:53 16 Feb 2007

Should read dvd shrink

scotty 14:00 16 Feb 2007

I don't follow you eedcam. Descriptions says "With it, you can easily convert AVI, Divx, XviD, MPEG I/II, VCD, SVCD, DVD, VOB, DAT, ASF/WMV to MPEG format" Converting VOB to MPEG should make files which Pinnacle can edit.

Quiet Life 16:37 16 Feb 2007

Hi

Quiet Life 16:46 16 Feb 2007

Hi My message about Virtual dub was incorrect. It should have been does not convert VOB files.
These are basically MPEG 2 files. There are so many different file types and WMM and Pinnacle do not support a lot. What I wanted was just a simple conversion of vOB files to something WMM could edit so I could send little clips by e-mail.
WMM is first class for this and it is a very good automatic feature,

eedcam 18:01 16 Feb 2007

Scotty he already has vob and wants to convert to avi that prog is for converting fromavi etc.,
Quiet life are you sure you got v-dub mpeg2 cos mines converts no prob. Either from TS folder or dvd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?