Editing a different company's website from my computer?

Love2Help 13:36 27 Jun 2014

I am new to the web design process and would like to know if and how I could edit a website that I do not own? For example, if my product is on a supplier's website and their information is wrong, and they give me permission to change it from home, how could I do so - would they send me a file, or a link? Thanks!

tullie 13:50 27 Jun 2014

Maybe ask them?

Ian in Northampton 14:29 27 Jun 2014

What you want to do is very feasible. However, it's unlikely that they'll give you any kind of free access to their web site - the security implications are huge. They will have a back end CMS - Content Management System - that allows web site content to be easily and quickly updated (I write news stories for a web site, and have access to their CMS from home - but my login details only give me access to those parts of the CMS that are strictly relevant to what I need to do.)

I'm intrigued to know, though: from your description, it sounds like a very simple problem to fix. Can't you just contact them, tell them what needs to be changed and why, and ask them to do it for you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?