Editing a dark digital photo

Duncanf 18:53 06 Jun 2008

I have a digital family photo that would be precious if I could edit it effectively. It was taken by a friend but with light from a window in the background. The flash never came on, resulting in a very darkened image. Can someone suggest a successful method? I've tried Picasa and Photofiltre. A friend mentioned a histogram but I dont know how to tackle that.
Thanks in anticipation.

eedcam 19:15 06 Jun 2008

Histogram well adobe and paintshop offer that using 'Levels ' though a better way is using layers none of which help you alas as you dont get that with some of the freebies . Brightness and contrast is too rough to do it.Mind no guarantees whatever you use as if the info is'nt there lightening it up wont help. If its not too personal a photo I'd be happy to try it for you.and see what can be done PM me if you are interested Alternately you could try the trial versions of paint shop or adobe elements whatever you do do not play with theoriginal make duplicates and use them

johnnyrocker 19:17 06 Jun 2008

possibly click here?

johnny

Duncanf 19:23 06 Jun 2008

Thanks, eedcam.....good of you to offer help with it. I'll send photo through if you have time to look at it. I've tried all the brightness/contrast etc with little effect.
Can you let me know how/where to send it? It is my grandaughter and me at a recent birthday celebration.

Duncanf 19:48 06 Jun 2008

Thanks for help. Will try Irfanview as well!
Going out to a meeting but will check again at 10pm! Thank you both.

woodchip 21:41 06 Jun 2008

Post your Photo hear and lets see what we can do with it. click here
Copy and Paste the forum link hear

eedcam 22:19 06 Jun 2008

Duncan just Pm me ie click on the wee yellow envelope by my name

Duncanf 01:16 07 Jun 2008

Well I've send something.....hope it comes through successfully. Thanks again for your assistance....I think it's a pretty tall order!

Duncanf 01:28 07 Jun 2008

Sent you an e-mail as requested but couldn't find a way of pasting the photo. Tried to cut and paste but the 'paste' option wasn't highlighted.

MCE2K5 01:37 07 Jun 2008

Can you put a Link to the Photo on here.

Just gone through 30 pages, Loads of Dark Photos.

eedcam 07:41 07 Jun 2008

Hi David just sent some info to Duncan re attaching Photos

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?