Edit websites in sity

Amalric I 14:25 24 Feb 2007

I have several websites built with FrontPage 2002. I was used to getting them in my Explorer 6 browser, clicking on the FrontPage icon in the toolbar and proceeding with any needed updates and changes. Then I upgraded to Explorer 7, the FrontPage icon disappeared from the tool bar, and I can find no way to update my sites.

I have also installed FrontPage 2003 to see if that might help. It is even worse as the Automotive Theme I used is not available in it, so even if I wanted to use the awkward technique of working on a local copy of the sites and uploading via FTP, I could not keep the Automotive Theme. But what really fixes me is that I do not have local copies on my site and can't find a down loader which I can edit and then upload via FTP.

Anybody know how to get out of this mess? Most urgent is to find a way to update the sites. Keeping the Automotive theme would be nice but not essential.

Technotiger 15:14 24 Feb 2007

If nothing else works, you could revert to IE6 simply by uninstalling IE7 in Control Panel>Add/Remove.

Technotiger 15:16 24 Feb 2007

You could have the best of both worlds by also using Firefox2 in addition to IE6.

Jackcoms 15:18 24 Feb 2007

Un-install IE7 via Add/Remove Programs. It will revert to IE6.

I have to admit that I don't use IE7 or like the look and feel of it. I regard it as 'buggy' (as evidenced by the continuing problems reported in this Forum).

Amalric I 16:20 24 Feb 2007

To Techotiger:

While I agree that anything to distance oneself from dependence on Microsoft in all its incarnations, did you have anything specific in mind,relevant to my problem. I picked up a glimmer somewhere that Firefox could be used somehow to edit websites, but lost the trail somewhere around Seamonkey. Is that what you meant.

Technotiger 16:25 24 Feb 2007

Hi, the only thing I had in mind was that apparently you were able to edit websites as you wished using IE6, but that IE7 had stopped you doing so. Afraid Seamonkey does not mean anything to me, but thought that FF2 would offer you an alternative - though I don't knowing about the editing bit.

Amalric I 10:28 28 Feb 2007

I finally found an email address to my website host who kindly sent my login details to my new email address. Also I found that Dreamweaver can, in principle, recover a site even if it was not created with Dreamweaver, and allow it to be edited and uploaded. When I have time to learn it I will switch to Dreamweaver so I am not dependent on MS or PCs.

sahkab 18:10 23 Nov 2007

hi all, im pretty new to web designing. i built my first site in dreamweaver cs3 and it looked good. the problem is that when i bought my domain and uploaded the site i was told the site uses server side Jave script in, and they do not support server side KJave script on their platform. Hence, i need to change the script to client side Java script. the problem is that i have no idea on how to do that. can anyone help? thanks.

Forum Editor 18:39 23 Nov 2007

You're hijacking someone else's thread - please post a new thread on this subject in our special WebDesign forum. Please note that we don't allow multiple threads on the same subject, so please don't post in more than one forum area.

Forum Editor 18:53 23 Nov 2007

not because it's Microsoft software - that has nothing to do with whether it's good software or not - but because it was discontinued last year, and some webhosts no longer support FrontPage extensions. You don't need to use the extensions of course, but you'll not be able to make any use of the special FrontPage components if you don't.

That's the reason why it was never a good idea to use a third-party FTP application to upload changes to a FrontPage site by the way - doing so could break the extensions, and you had to install them all over again.

No serious web designer will edit a site via a web browser, and if you want to use some 'proper' design software you can certainly import a FrontPage site into DreamWeaver. You can also do it the other way around - you can work with DreamWeaver sites in FrontPage.

Incidentally, Microsoft's replacement for FrontPage is an application called Microsoft Expression Web. It's part of a suite of programs called Expression Studio, and it's an excellent application.

click here for more information if you're interested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?