Edit picture on SD card... then import it

mooly 07:58 04 Aug 2009

Not really a problem, I just don't understand what's happening with this. Here what happens,

1. Take a picture, it's say 600kb on the card.
2. Put the card in the PC and open the picture with Windows photo gallery.
3. Edit the picture "on the card"... I have not yet moved it to the PC. I crop it etc and it's now 200kb in size.
4. Move it to the PC by drag and drop.
5. Remove the SD card.
6. The new 200kb picture is just as you expect showing as 200kb in size on the PC and yet if I open it with Photo gallery and click "revert" it does indeed revert back to the original 600kb picture.

How can that be ? I thought all that info was "lost" when I edited it on the card. Where has the missing 400kb appeared from ?

accordion 08:12 04 Aug 2009

Each photo file you have includes embedded data. Usually using the Exif specification, programs can make use of the Exif data. Called Metadata, here's some of what is embedded:

Among other things, the metadata section of a file can contain information about:

* make and model of the digital camera
* time and date the picture was taken
* distance the camera was focused at
* location information (GPS) where the picture was taken
* small preview image (thumbnail) of the picture
* firmware version, serial numbers, name and version of the image manipulation program, etc. ...

And that's why your image file can be restored to original.

Dave

accordion 08:17 04 Aug 2009

PS - you might like to read more about this: click here

Dave

jack 08:30 04 Aug 2009

But it is always best to retain the original image .
So with the card in machine, edit the image, then use 'Save as' and direct the image with a new name[This can be the original number with 'A' placed after it]- and direct the revised image to a folder on the computer.
You then have original for future reference and the new version.

mooly 08:31 04 Aug 2009

Thanks for that and thanks for the link, will study it... a lot to read.

mooly 08:48 04 Aug 2009

Thanks Jack, I should keep originals as just that I know, but what it is that really puzzles me, and it's probably me not understanding, is that when you "edit" the image, and say reduce a 1mb piccy to say 50k, the free space on the card jumps up, as if that data has gone. I've just had the calculator out (and looked lol) and tried it.
On that basis it "appears" you could crop all the pictures on a card for example and "gain" all that free space. I know that's a silly example but that's what I'm not understanding. How can the data to reconstruct a 1mb image disappear and show as free space.

hssutton 09:26 04 Aug 2009

By opening the image on your computer you are editing it on your computer not on the card.

At this stage as the image on the computer has not been "saved" it will indeed revert back to the original size. However once saved the image will be 200kbs in size and the discarded portion cannot be retrieved.

The image on your card has not been altered so therefore it will still be the uncropped original size.

Simsy 10:26 04 Aug 2009

it may be that you are "dragging" the unaltered version...

Are you saving between steps 3 and 4? If not, this is what I'd expect.

Having said that, as others have indicated, it's probably best to copy the file to your PC before editing, so you have the original still, so you can "start from scratch" again if things go wrong.

Regards,

Simsy

mooly 13:21 04 Aug 2009

I'm lossing the plot here :)
I put the card in the PC and "open" an image which opens in Windows photo gallery (Vista).
So that image data is on the card, I now click fix and begin to edit and crop etc and then click "apply" when I'm happy with it and then click "exit" red square at top right :) to close photo gallery and the image say's "Saving" and that cropped editted image is now what is on the card seemingly having replaced the original unedited one. The free space on the card has now jumped up by the difference in the original minus the edited image. But the option to revert is there and it works.
If I dont "revert" the edited image on the card I can drag and drop it into the pictures folder on the PC and when I open it from there it still has the ability to revert back to the original. So how can a 50kb imported edited image be able to revert back to a 750kb unedited one as I have just done :)
Jack above said use "save as" presumably as you do with text documents, give it a different name etc. I can't see any save options either by right clicking or whatever for jpg's. If I open the image in paint I have that option, but nowhere else.
Am I missing something obvious here.

Jim_F 13:55 04 Aug 2009

I found that Vista photo gallery saves imported images under your user profile on the HDD so if you have a dig around there it may explain things.

woodchip 14:08 04 Aug 2009

When You saved after Editing, Did it ask if you wanted to replace the Image??? if not then you will find two photos on the SD card, Original and Edited version. If you Save as then the first thing happens it asks if you want to replace if you use the same file name, if you click Save it will put another copy on the Card. It may also save it in a different format unless you tell it how to save

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?