EBay - refresh advice

Covergirl 19:39 17 Jul 2008

Hi

I've been watching a few items on ebay and occasionally but infrequently, when I press refresh (F5) or hit the refresh button, just the time and amount bid refreshes. That's great but usually, the whole page reloads and that's time consuming.

Anybody any idea what the secret is please on how to get just the relevent bits refreshing rather than the whole page.

Thanks in advance

nosharpe 20:03 17 Jul 2008

As far as I am aware, the page is static so it will refresh the whole page when you press F5.

Sea Urchin 22:37 17 Jul 2008

When you are bidding on an item another Refresh button appears to the right of the price - this only refreshes the time and bid information.

Covergirl 22:56 17 Jul 2008

Sea Urchin . . . not anywhere else on the page.

nosharpe

That's what one would expect but I've sat here and pressed F5 and watched the seconds tick by on screen 'cos just the price and time get updated.

Anyone else please ?

And . . . .

Why, sometimes, are bid timings out of order e.g. click here ?

mrwoowoo 00:38 18 Jul 2008

"Why, sometimes, are bid timings out of order"
Because biders put in a maximum bid which is usually above the present bid price.
If another bidder puts in a new bid, that is less than the first bidders maximum,it will push the first bid up a bit.Therefore the last bid will have the newest time,but the first bid which is bigger will jump to the top and have the time that he originally put in his maximum.
Hope i have explained it properly.

GaT7 00:56 18 Jul 2008

"When you are bidding on an item another Refresh button appears to the right of the price" - I think that only happens with a few minutes to go till end of auction.

"Why, sometimes, are bid timings out of order" - happens quite often really. This is because some bidder(s) has bid LOWER than the highest (or higher) bidder & at a LATER time than the latter registered his/her bid - explained below...

E.g. I made a bid of £10 on a particular item on a certain day. Around 5 days LATER, you make a bid LOWER than mine, say £8. Your bid will show up below mine in the list:

Bidder 1 [ME] - £10.00 - 12-Jul-08 23:37:39 BST
Bidder 2 [YOU] - £8.00 - 17-Jul-08 15:40:12 BST

Only a HIGHER bid than mine will show up above my bid, regardless of WHEN it was made. E.g. after your 1st bid failed to make you highest bidder, you decide to increase it almost immediately. This is how the page would look:

Bidder 2 [YOU] - £11.00 - 17-Jul-08 15:41:30 BST
Bidder 1 [ME] - £10.00 - 12-Jul-08 23:37:39 BST
Bidder 2 [YOU] - £8.00 - 17-Jul-08 15:40:12 BST

Hence the list is sorted IN ORDER by 'Bid Amount' (increasing from bottom to top), & NOT by 'Bid Time'. If you look at it this way, they aren't out of order at all ;-), G

Covergirl 12:18 22 Jul 2008

( . . . sorry, long weekend away)

Thanks for the answers on the bid order which, (if I'm reading and summarising correctly) tell me that the bids are sorted in £££'s amount order.

Back to the original question re: F5 / Refresh.

I've sat here and pressed F5 once a second and watched the seconds count down on screen. It doesn't refresh the whole page, only the price and countdown get updated.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Does anybody else know the secret please?

nosharpe 12:49 22 Jul 2008

"I've sat here and pressed F5 once a second and watched the seconds count down on screen. It doesn't refresh the whole page, only the price and countdown get updated."

That's because the price and time are the only things updating on the page.
The images, etc download into your temporary internet folder when you first access that page so when you refresh, it retrieves the images, etc from that folder, not the internet.

€dstowe 14:14 22 Jul 2008

You say only the price and countdown change. How do you know that? If everything else is exactly the same you will not be able to see any difference.

As has been said, less than 15 minutes before the end a refresh button appears top, right of the bid box. Clicking that will refresh very quickly.

Covergirl 22:42 22 Jul 2008

. . . almost.

€dstowe . . almost right too.

nosharpe - correct in theory but ebay Refresh works slightly differently.

I think I've cracked it with all your help.

Apologies for not spotting it last time but the circumstances have to be just right before it appears, as follows:

Only when there are bids placed (by others apart from the seller) and the time is within 15 mins from the end of the auction does a light blue ebay button with the word 'Refresh' on it appear.

Clicking it or pressing F5 refreshes the time and amount bid information only.

Clicking Refresh at the end of the Address bar refreshes the whole screen.

If there are no bids, or the item is outside the 15 minute timezone, the ebay refresh button does not appear and F5 and Refresh work as per any other (to my knowledge) website.

Thanks again - marked resolved. Any other comments most welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?