EBAY

SANTOS7 01:18 19 Oct 2004

I have just read a couple of threads directing people to Ebay for cheap pc equipment, maybe not such a good idea at the moment click here take your pick as to which one you read, be safe!........

feb 01:31 19 Oct 2004

Never give up your password!! Not to any one!!!

georgemac 07:56 19 Oct 2004

I use ebay quite a bit and recently recieved one of the spoof emails. It was very good.

Never give out any password/account name in an email, and if changing your details online always log in first by going to www. ebay. co. uk and log in using the My Ebay - never update details from an email link.

The website you are on should also start https:// and the padlock in your browser should be closed.

Ebay also now have a toolbar with "account gaurd" for internet explorer which will alert you if you are not on a genuine ebay page click here

I reported the email and the website where it directed you to the ebay fraud team.

spuds 10:52 19 Oct 2004

eBay have increased their fraud and security investigatiion team, so any suspect reports will be well received and acted upon.

There was a recent case that went to court, of a UK youth who was into eBay frauds bigtime. He thought it was all fun, especially as it funded trips to the USA with his mates.

SANTOS7 11:15 19 Oct 2004

£45,000 for selling stuff that didn't exist, how easily we are drawn in at the chance of getting what you think is a real bargain.........

pj123 15:22 19 Oct 2004

I get four or five emails (supposedly) from eBay a day and I don't even have an account with eBay.

They all get forwarded to spoof@ ebay.co.uk and I always get two very nice automated emails back advising me that they are, in fact, not from eBay at all.

TomJerry 15:56 19 Oct 2004

people paid £4.90 + PP for a Tesco Bag for Life plastic bag (cost 10p in Tesco) as a fashion accessory.

So you can understand why people buy stuff from EB.

the-george 17:26 19 Oct 2004

I also often receive e-mails purportedly from ebay but never use any link that they offer as Ebay does not operate like this.

To date I have made a modest 250 or so deals using Ebay (about half selling/half buying) and have had no cause for complaint- I have 100% positive feedback and have not issued negative feedback to anyone either. Many of the bought items come from the states. Some have been PC components and software and again I have had no problems.
You get dodgy dealers and fraudsters using all forms of advertising/selling media you just have to exercise a great deal of care.

georgemac 17:52 19 Oct 2004

I use ebay a little bit, mainly for buying and have picked up some components at excellent prices, examples xp3000 (£67) 2 x 512 mb hynix pc3200 (£70) these are in this pc. I too have 100% feedback ratings, have had to leave negative feedback twice for people who bid and did not pay for an old mobile phone I sold.

I have sold some of the old components from upgrades also.

However, I see people buying used items for more than they can buy brand new warrantied items from online retailers - must be the auction fever.

linx 17:59 19 Oct 2004

I used ebay once but was frustrated because I lost the bid by only 25p during the last 2 minutes.

Is there another site where I can buy W98 SE operating system other than on ebay?

Hamish 18:24 19 Oct 2004

linx

Try here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017