Easy way to split a 100 name Contacts list into 2

Trikie 19:57 12 Sep 2008

I have too many names in my Group Contacts list and it's causing problems. Is there any easy way to create 2 lists with 50 in each other than by deleting 50 and then adding them individually to a new list?

Is there a way to create a copy of the list and then delete 50 from each?

Taff™ 09:25 13 Sep 2008

Assuming Outlook. Create a new Contact Folder and copy the list to that contact folder.(Hold the CTRL Key and drag and drop, you should see a + sign as you do this.) Rename one of the distribution lists. Delete the first 50 from one and the last 50 from the other. (Select the first contact, hold the shift key and select the 50th to include all; those in between)Drag and drop the moved file back to the original contacts folder.

Trikie 23:09 15 Sep 2008

Thanks Taff. Tried this but assumed that I do this from the main address list screen after creating the new Group. Trying to drag and drop I get the "no entry" symbol and nothing happens. Should I be copying from somewhere else?

Taff™ 23:32 15 Sep 2008

I assumed you were using Outlook. Tell us which e-mail client you are using. (Outlook, Outlook Express etc)

Trikie 01:31 16 Sep 2008

Sorry, I thought Outlook was an abbreviated reference to Outlook Express. Didn't realise there are two with similar names.

I'm using Outlook Express.

Taff™ 06:38 18 Sep 2008

I`ll check it out later today I don`t have OE on my current machine.

jack 08:29 18 Sep 2008

Do it from desktop.
Like this.
Go to the site of the list folder and create a new folder- give it a name.
Go to original folder and then Edit/ select all/click copy.
Move to new folder right click/ paste.
Edit both folders appropriately.

Taff™ 12:17 18 Sep 2008

Open OE and then the address book. It`s pretty much the same as Outlook. Create a new Group with nobody in it which will appear in the left hand pane underneath Main Identities Contacts. Select the current group in the left hand pane and select the first 50 contacts in the right and simply drag them to the new group in the left. Then delete the first 50 from the original file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017