Easy to switch to SATA disks ?

DTallon 14:06 21 Nov 2007

I've just re-built my system having not done it for a few years. I noticed that the hard drive I bought had a SATA cable but I connected it using the standard grey cable as I didn't wish to complicate things at the time.

Is there significant speed benefit to using the SATA cables? and is it as simple as using the SATA cable to connect to the motherboard? or does the drive or board have to be configured etc? and is this complicated?

My motherboard is an ABIT NF8 using an AMD Athlon 64 socket 754 processor.

Quiller. 14:14 21 Nov 2007

The ABIT NF8 comes with just a SATA 150 controller. Unless you wish to use raid on your computer you would see very little benefit. Your hard drive is probably and ATA133 standard and SATA 150 is just marginally faster.

' and is it as simple as using the SATA cable to connect to the motherboard? or does the drive or board have to be configured etc? and is this complicated? '

It's usually as simple as that. Plug in the data cable and plug in the power. You will probably have to load the SATA drivers but you can do that in windows or when loading on an operating system.

Pamy 15:19 21 Nov 2007

did not know that you could buy a hard drive with SATA and IDE conectors

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?