Easy edit for digipics?

quitiraq 00:55 15 Jan 2007

Kind reader should you find time to offer advice know this writer's pc awareness level is equivalent to having to use fingers to add 2+2.

The Story:
A neat red Casio Exilim camera was delivered to my Xmas stocking ... and a 140 page manual!

The problem:
"touch up"/re-centering of digipics is called for prior to printing photos:

The Questions:
- Is a basic photoedit soft standard kit with PC's nowadays (the OS = XP Windows)? The chances are the pc already has one only I don't know it!
- What "foolproof" photo edit freeware is available
- What providers are recommended for ordering prints online?

Thank you for the focus!
Cheeeeeese!

brundle 01:04 15 Jan 2007

Picasa from Google is a great bit of image management software; click here
Limited editing but enough for basic adjustment of images

Diemmess 11:09 15 Jan 2007

You can easily be hooked on playing with photos!

brundle has suggested a good starting point with picasa2.

This will allow you to arrange, label and display your pictures nicely. Just be aware that
deleting a picture from your display, will delete it completely.
Make sure early on that you have your photo files safe in a separate folder with the best ones duplicated so that any fiddling is done with copies and the originals are still there.

There are more sophisticated programs out there from the freebies like Irfanview right through to Photoshop CS @ several hundred pounds.

For the present you are on the right tack.
Get the feel of handling your photos and when you yearn for the ability to do fancy things with them, you will have a better idea of costs in money and time

scotty 12:40 15 Jan 2007

My two favourite free programs for photo editing are Picasa and Irfanview. Picasa is great for sorting your photos and letting you find the one you want. Irfanview is a great simple viewer with basic editing facilities.

Irfanview click here

Pamy 13:10 15 Jan 2007

Win XP has paint, Basic but OK.

All Progs--Accesories--Paint

oldbeefer2 15:19 15 Jan 2007

I like this one click here which is free and very comprehensive.

quitiraq 15:43 16 Jan 2007

Found Microsoft Photoeditor stashed away amongst my software programmes :-)

Pamy, thanks tried basic Paint, but seems (to me at least) a bit clumsy to use.

Oldbeefer2 thanks for this I'll taka a look.

Brundle your encouragement appreciated.

Diemmess: you've hit the nail on the head! I discarded the manual and opted for field exercise and trail and error... More fun and best way to learn. Time Expansion Factor software would be a boon but that's for a Wellsian world we have yet to reach.

Thanks to all for offering your time and wisdom.

Totally-braindead 16:24 16 Jan 2007

Fasstone Image Viewer another free and excellent program for editing digital photos and well worth a try click here.
Between it and Picassa 2 which has already been mentioned I hardly ever use anything else. Both programs cover all the basics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?