Easier access to scanner and printer.

Bald Eagle 17:29 01 Nov 2003

After installing XP I loaded the drivers for my HP Deskjet 850C printer (drivers came from the XP program) and Epson Perfection 1640 SU scanner (XP drivers from the Epson website). However, to access either without using say Microsoft Word, I have to press Start, Settings, Control panel, and then either scanners or printers. They then work, can I do anything to shorten this process. I cannot make a shortcut.

imarcus2 18:18 01 Nov 2003

Can't speak for the HP printer, but Epson scanners all have a push button switch on the scanner front that kicks the epson software into action, provided the PC is booted up -- at least to desktop status. Then the scanner will talk to the printer [I believe] if that is what you want to do.

Never operate it that way myself, always call for scanning via the twain link from within PhotoShop or PaintShopPro, as I find all scans need attention before printing!

Kegsy 18:24 01 Nov 2003

I've got something called "Action Manager 32" on my desktop which takes me straight to the scanning process. It came with the scanner

DieSse 18:31 01 Nov 2003

To access the printer or scanner, surely you just use the appropriate program then choose Print when you want to print something - I can't understand how else you would want to use a printer.

I cannot for the life of me imagine what a shortcut to a printer could actually give you.

Scanners are a little different, but surely your Epson came with programs for making scans?

Bald Eagle 19:01 01 Nov 2003

When I ran the scanner under 98SE it was accessible via Start, Programs. This then gave a wizard for scanning to whatever application you wanted i.e. a word processor or a graphics application, just a straight copy (like a zerox), sending to e mail or saving to disc.
The printer had a wizard that was accessed as above with the ability to troubleshoot problems etc. and print off pictures without having to open another program. This is now all ?lost? due to the driver setup needed for XP.
They are both still usable but more involved access wise.

wee eddie 20:34 01 Nov 2003

To print a file.

Open the file > Right Click > Select Print

or

Open the file > Select File on the Task Bar > Chose the number of copies you want etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires