Early versions of windows

Mr Sid 21:21 21 Aug 2005

Is it possible to run a CD designed for windows 3.1 & 95 on windows XP ?
I have downloaded dosbox, but the CD still wont play ! Any help would be great, as this CD is a French language CD which I really like.
Thank you.

Strawballs 21:29 21 Aug 2005

system tools > program compatibility wizard

stalion 21:32 21 Aug 2005

dos is dead in windows xp click here
click here

woodchip 21:37 21 Aug 2005

You cannot run Windows from CDR or CDRW

dave_and_confused 21:40 21 Aug 2005

Eh??

DieSse 21:47 21 Aug 2005

Can you explain further please - do you mean it won't install?? - or it won't run automatically, or what exactly.

Many older CDs won't do anything automatically - you have to look on them for the program to run, or install.

woodchip 21:50 21 Aug 2005

Yes it will instal and run on a Hard Drive from what I can see he want's to run the OS on a CD

woodchip 21:52 21 Aug 2005

Or I may have got it wrong and he wants to run old Programs created to run on the above. but on XP

Stuartli 21:56 21 Aug 2005

You can't run DOS programs on XP, which is one of the reasons my best mate's business system is still on 98SE.

Several of the programs he uses in his business and which are still superior to current alternatives for his purposes despite being more than 15 years old, are DOS based.

Both he and I originally used them on Windows 3.1 systems.

Mr Sid 22:14 21 Aug 2005

DieSse, The CD will not load up automatically, or manually, or install at all.The contents are small video's, text, and graphics, and of course sound.

Mr Sid 22:24 21 Aug 2005

Woodchip. Yes I want to run programmes designed for older versions of windows on XP home.
I wondered if there was a conversion programme,or file that would allow such a thing.
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?